Shogun 2 various characters not showing up

Questions about Wine on Linux
ZombieRedShirt
Level 3
Level 3

Shogun 2 various characters not showing up

Post by ZombieRedShirt »

Hello all,

I'm using wine 1.5.8, and using plain old Shogun 2 Total War, no expansions or anything. My problem is that lately I'm missing a few characters showing up ingame. For instance, ingame advisors heads aren't showing like they should when giving advice, when starting a new campaign and choosing a clan, there's no clan leader or whoever he is that usually shows up when you select a clan, and when I'm in the diplomacy screen and negotiating with another clan, there's no character showing up there like there should be.

I've got a whole lot of dx9,dx10 and all those sort of dlls showing up, but I've also tried the game under other wine prefixes too, with no change. The game has no cracks or has had any kind of configuration done in terms of options. This started fairly suddenly something like a week ago, and I have no idea what set it off.

I'm running ubuntu 12.04 64 bit and using a nvidia 260gtx video card. Also a plain 32 bit wine prefix.
ZombieRedShirt
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Shogun 2 various characters not showing up

Post by ZombieRedShirt »

In addition, it seems that when choosing "avatar conquest" under multiplayer, my personal avatar is also invisible.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

The obvious reason could be a driver update, can you check, if your drivers have been updated last week? Also nvidia now has a new (bit more experimental) series of drivers (3xx.x), for your card the possible drivers would be something like 296.x and 301.x, where the 296.x series is more conservative.
ZombieRedShirt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ZombieRedShirt »

lahmbi5678 wrote:The obvious reason could be a driver update, can you check, if your drivers have been updated last week? Also nvidia now has a new (bit more experimental) series of drivers (3xx.x), for your card the possible drivers would be something like 296.x and 301.x, where the 296.x series is more conservative.
Thanks for responding. If I recall correctly, there were no driver updates between the time I started playing Shogun 2 and when I started having problems. Recently there was a security update to the 296 series driver in Ubuntu, but that's it.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Just to make sure, that the issue isn't caused by the nvidia driver, could you please try to install the old driver and test?
ZombieRedShirt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ZombieRedShirt »

Did as you asked, no effect I'm afraid. I wonder if this might be some obscure game bug? I really need other people running Shogun 2 under wine to tell me their experiences.
Dorfwine

Post by Dorfwine »

I've been trying Shogun 2, but I'm facing a different set of issues - black screens on battle maps (though the mouse icon displays and everything seems to be running behind the black screen). GTX460 w/ Ubuntu 12.04's stock 295.40(?) nVidia driver.

I have had some success by turning off the GLSL shaders, but that only solves the problem for one battle (the second battle produces the same black screen). Perhaps that may solve your issue as well.

(this is in 1.4, but have had the same results with 1.5.10).
ZombieRedShirt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ZombieRedShirt »

I've already played with a fair few wine registry options and ingame graphical options, nothing seems to change it. All I know is that I'd just love to get into this game, but these glitches are standing in the way.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Please run from command line and post terminal output.
ZombieRedShirt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ZombieRedShirt »

lahmbi5678 wrote:Please run from command line and post terminal output.
Done at long last, sorry for the delay. What I did here was start up Shogun 2, choose New Campaign from the main menu where your clan leader does not show up. Then I went into Avatar Conquest mode, where my avatar is also invisible. I then exited out of the game and had a quick look at the log. It might be something to do with d3d difficulities, but I'm not sure how or why, considering as I said, the game used to work just fine.

Output attached and compressed.
Attachments
output.log.tar.gz
(16.09 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
stanyuzhe

Post by stanyuzhe »

Hi,

My problem with Shogun 2 FOS is worse... see the picture below, the units on the campaign map were headed down...

http://d2bm3ljpacyxu8.cloudfront.net/wi ... _00002.jpg

I used PlayOnLinux with Wine 1.5.30, emulate win xp.

Anyone know how to fix this?
ZombieRedShirt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ZombieRedShirt »

stanyuzhe, I'd start by updating your wine version to the latest. I can be fairly sure that wine 1.5.31 works fine with Shogun 2, so maybe try that version and see how you go. Also, try plain wine, not POL. I don't know how that might affect the game.