Installation stuck on Building apple-gcc42

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Skunks
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Skunks »

The tutorial for installing wine said there should be a constant flow of information in the terminal window while it's installing, though for me it appears to be stuck on "---> Building apple-gcc42" for the last 20 minutes. Is this normal? Why does the installation take so long / what is it doing / how difficult is it to reverse whatever it's doing?
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Skunks <[email protected]> wrote:
The tutorial for installing wine said there should be a constant flow of information in the terminal window while it's
installing, though for me it appears to be stuck on "--->  Building apple-gcc42" for the last 20 minutes.  Is this
normal?  Why does the installation take so long / what is it doing / how difficult is it to reverse whatever it's doing?
This appears to be a question best directed to the source of where you
obtained Wine from as Wine itself does not build any version of gcc.
Are you using MacPorts to install Wine?

James
ischou
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Installation stuck on Building apple-gcc42

Post by ischou »

Skunks wrote:The tutorial for installing wine said there should be a constant flow of information in the terminal window while it's installing, though for me it appears to be stuck on "---> Building apple-gcc42" for the last 20 minutes. Is this normal? Why does the installation take so long / what is it doing / how difficult is it to reverse whatever it's doing?
Looks like MacPorts. I just updated MacPorts and yes, it takes a long time even on a dual-quad-core Mac Pro. It's been days now. I presume your compile of apple-gcc42 finally finished?
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 8:55 PM, ischou <[email protected]> wrote:
Skunks wrote:

Looks like MacPorts.  I just updated MacPorts and yes, it takes a long time even on a dual-quad-core Mac
Pro.  It's been days now. I presume your compile of apple-gcc42 finally finished?
I don't use MacPorts, but this needs to be reported to them. Please do so.

James
ischou
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Installation stuck on Building apple-gcc42

Post by ischou »

jjmckenzie wrote:On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 8:55 PM, ischou <[email protected]> wrote:
Skunks wrote:

Looks like MacPorts.  I just updated MacPorts and yes, it takes a long time even on a dual-quad-core Mac
Pro.  It's been days now. I presume your compile of apple-gcc42 finally finished?
I don't use MacPorts, but this needs to be reported to them. Please do so.

James
Oh sorry, I didn't mean that it takes days to complie apple-gcc42. It took probably 20+ minutes on the high-end Mac Pro I was installing. My point was that any lesser computer will likely take longer.

I was asking if Skunks finally completed his/her installation now that it's been several days since the initial post. I'm presuming there's no problem anywhere (with Wine or MacPorts) and asserting that, "Yes, apple-gcc42 takes a heck of a long time to compile in MacPorts."