Wow says no DirectX

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
slopoke
Level 2
Level 2

Wow says no DirectX

Post by slopoke »

Wine 1.3.37

After patching, tried to start Wow with Wow.exe. Got a dialog box that says I need the latest DirectX Runtime. I have 'winecfg' set to XP and Blizzard says that means ver. 9.0c, which, I read somewhere, is what Wine has completed and uses by default. Please feel free to correct any misconceptions I may have.

What now?
slopoke
Level 2
Level 2

Post by slopoke »

I really hate to be a pain, and I do apologize, but without dx9 working (or WOW recognizing it), I can't play the game.

Any ideas at all?
tparker
Level 5
Level 5

Wow says no DirectX

Post by tparker »

On 2/6/2012 8:15 PM, slopoke wrote:
I really hate to be a pain, and I do apologize, but without dx9 working (or WOW recognizing it), I can't play the game.

Any ideas at all?
Uninstall and then re-install your video drivers, be sure you are using
the proprietary ones not the open source. Doesn't always work but it's a
good starting place with video issues so it's worth a try.
JKWood

Post by JKWood »

Have you tried starting Wow with the -opengl flag? That has traditionally given better results than DirectX anyway.
slopoke
Level 2
Level 2

Post by slopoke »

JKWood, your suggestion is normally relavent. However in my case, the -opengl flag is part of the startup command, is set in the registry, and is selected in the WTF config file. So I don't directly use DirectX, but the game looks for it. How it uses it I have no idea, other than it won't start without it. I hope your comment gives other users a further re-inforcement for using opengl.

tparker, that did it! I always use the proprietary driver from Nvidia. I checked the Nvidia site and a new driver is available, updating the driver took care of uninstall and re-install. After the reboot, error box was gone and game started. Wine 1, Windoze 0.

Usually a major patch trashes my sound server and changes directory permissions. This is the first time it's messed up the video. I'll have to remember this.

Thank you both for the help.