problem with wine

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
motorwest66

problem with wine

Post by motorwest66 »

previously, i installed wine for the first time and it appeared to be functioning well. it created its own menus under applications and when i right-clicked on executables, there would be an option to open with wine. now, i've formatted and installed a fresh version of ubuntu 7.10 and wine isn't acting the way that it was. under applications it shows up under a menu entitled 'others' and when i right click on an executable, nothing is shown for wine. also, when i right-clicked and made it 'open with' wine, nothing happened. no error or anything. i've un-installed it and re-installed it to no avail. have i mentioned that i'm new to ubuntu and linux in general? well, hopefully that makes sense.

thanks in advance!

-bob
vitamin

Re: problem with wine

Post by vitamin »

motorwest66 wrote:previously, i installed wine for the first time and it appeared to be functioning well. it created its own menus under applications and when i right-clicked on executables, there would be an option to open with wine. now, i've formatted and installed a fresh version of ubuntu 7.10 and wine isn't acting the way that it was. under applications it shows up under a menu entitled 'others' and when i right click on an executable, nothing is shown for wine. also, when i right-clicked and made it 'open with' wine, nothing happened. no error or anything. i've un-installed it and re-installed it to no avail. have i mentioned that i'm new to ubuntu and linux in general? well, hopefully that makes sense.

thanks in advance!

-bob

Those menu entries are features form your distro not Wine itself. For information about how to run windows programs with Wine see FAQ: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ