multiple wine versions

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
aldouxhuxley
Level 1
Level 1

multiple wine versions

Post by aldouxhuxley »

Hello I managed to install a version of wine in ubuntu using:
sudo apt-get install wine
which gave me version 1.2.2

This version has been working pretty good with World of Warcraft but according to the AppDB version 1.3.6 is much better ('platinum') for Counter-strike: Source. So I d/led the source and installed it in /home/myname/.wine-1.3.6 but i'm not sure i understand PREFIX

i used PREFIX=/home/myname/.wine-1.3.6 to configure it and eventually i ended up running a game via $HOME/.wine-1.3.6 with the specified prefix before it, but how does winetricks and / or winecfg interact with this second version.

Do I need to reinstall each game into my drive_c for each version or can I run them with PREFIX=$HOME/.wine-1.3.6 and locate the main .wine directory

I guess I'm not really sure how I can make this second version my own and configure it like I attempt to with the original install
Gert van den Berg

multiple wine versions

Post by Gert van den Berg »

The PREFIX option when you compile Wine determines where it installs.
(It should default to /usr/local)

When running Wine, you want to set the WINEPREFIX environment variable
(It is a run-time option, not compile time) (Yu can export it to set
it for all processes started from that shell, or you can use env /
prefix it to the command to set it for every involkation)

e.g. WINEPREFIX=~/.wine wine winecfg # Gets primary wineprefix's winecfg
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-cssource ~/.wine-1.3.6/bin/wine winecfg # Gets
~/.wine-cssource's winecfg using Wine binary from the compile wine
1.3.6 (reinstalling it into /usr/local might make more sense...)

Gert
vitamin

Re: multiple wine versions

Post by vitamin »

Gert van den Berg wrote:When running Wine, you want to set the WINEPREFIX environment variable
Except that's not what he asks or wants.

To specify Wine's location for winetricks set WINE env var:

Code: Select all

WINE=$HOME/.wine-1.3.6/wine winetricks
To run wine builtin programs (winecfg, notepad, etc) use this command:

WINE=$HOME/.wine-1.3.6/wine winecfg
aldouxhuxley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aldouxhuxley »

Thanks both replies are helping.

I just wanted to clarify a few things though:

1. invoking env WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine-1.3.6/" and WINE=$HOME/.wine-1.3.6/wine winetricks doesn't seem to do anything that i can tell.

2. Is $HOME/.wine/drive_c/...etc.. the directory that each version of wine should be using?

3. Are my different versions of wine supposed to be installed to a separate folder in /usr/local ?
* I ask because invoking WINE=$HOME/.wine-1.3.6/wine winetricks says the following: "wine: configuration in '/home/weebz/.wine' has been updated."

4. I'm so confused by trying to operate 2 versions of wine :cry: .. not even sure which directories are associated with what:

weebz@weebzlinux:~$ sudo find / -name 'wine'
/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/wine
/home/weebz/.wine-1.3.6/include/wine
/home/weebz/.wine-1.3.6/libs/wine
/home/weebz/.wine-1.3.6/wine
/home/weebz/.wine-1.3.6/loader/wine
/home/weebz/.local/share/applications/wine
/var/lib/binfmts/wine
/var/cache/binfmts/wine
/usr/lib/wine
/usr/share/binfmts/wine
/usr/share/wine
/usr/bin/wine
aldouxhuxley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aldouxhuxley »

I've decided I'm going to make uninstall the wine-1.3.6 version from source. I'm taking a closer look @ http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wineusr ... INE-SOURCE and just looking at the docs in general. Any pointers in the right direction or answers are appreciated with the last post (1-4), but after looking more at the docs I'll come back and update the thread with what I know and / or don't know.

Thanks again already for the 2 responses though.
aldouxhuxley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aldouxhuxley »

ok wow this shit was ridiculous but i can't believe i got it to work:
so the idea: i uninstalled both versions of wine and decided to start anew with playonlinux
this is the tale of how i managed to get there

1. removed wine-1.3.6: cd $HOME/.wine-1.3.6 && make uninstall
2. removed wine-1.2.2 (the sudo apt-get wine): sudo apt-get autoremove wine
3. this did not work as 'wine' still printed instructions indiciating it was still present so I: sudo find / -name wine
4. I removed everything manually via: sudo rm -r /dir/* OR sudo rmdir OR sudo rm file
5. Also removed 'wine' from the applications tab: "Right-click your menu and select 'Edit Menus'. You can then right-click your selections in the right hand pane and select 'delete'." * i forget source for this quote
5. 'sudo find / -name 'wine' still showed /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/wine SO I: sudo umount(ed) it:: sudo umount /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/wine
6. then I rebooted

Installing playonlinux
1. after install playonlinux says that it requires wine and doesn't start
2. i go to ubuntu software center and find 'wine' even though it was manually 'removed' and it fails saying that it 'requires installation of untrusted packages to uninstall' so.. i used: http://start.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1387170
a. sudo apt-get clean
b. cd /var/lib/apt
c. sudo mv lists lists.old
d. sudo mkdir -p lists/partial
e. sudo apt-get clean
f. sudo apt-get update
which finally allows me to remove wine from ubuntu software center but BUT does not allow me to install playonlinux
3. THEN i went to install playonlinux via: sudo apt-get install playonlinux
and it worked after awhile of downloading and extracting

- i can't believe i eventually got it to 'work' with so many different hacks from so many sites.. prolly did it the hard way and the wrong way but in the end i have what i think i want

hope this helps another lost soul
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

aldouxhuxley wrote:ok wow this shit was ridiculous but i can't believe i got it to work:
so the idea: i uninstalled both versions of wine and decided to start anew with playonlinux
I'm glad it's working for you, but be aware that third party apps like PlayOnLinux are not supported here. If you have any problems with it, ask for help on their forum.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

aldouxhuxley wrote:1. invoking env WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine-1.3.6/" and WINE=$HOME/.wine-1.3.6/wine winetricks doesn't seem to do anything that i can tell.
Because it's wrong. WINEPREFIX is NOT where Wine is installed but where Wine will create it's fake "windows" configuration. Obviously you can't have source directory as the wineprefix.

Gert van den Berg, this is your official warning, next time I see you post invalid information, or something completely irrelevant to what OP is asking about, all your messages will be removed from forum.
aldouxhuxley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aldouxhuxley »

PlayOnLinux wasn't as great as I thought it would be. I eventually trashed it and went back to compiling wine via source. I don't like apt-get(ting) it - seems so messy.

Anyways I think I have a better grip on WINEPREFIX and installing wine from source in general. I have a .wine directory with wineprefix/ and WineVersions/ .. I've been installing each version (so far 1.3.8, 1.3.11, and 1.2.1) into WineVersions/ and creating a new prefix for each game I install in wineprefix/

For example the one game I have working at the moment is World of Warcraft using wine-1.2.1 .. The bash script I use to run it is:

#! /bin/bash
WINEPREFIX=/home/weebz/.wine/wineprefix/WoW /home/weebz/.wine/WineVersions/1.2.1/bin/wine /home/weebz/.wine/wineprefix/WoW/drive_c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/Wow.exe -opengl

Is this okay or should I do something else? Oh and for some reason Steam is giving me a major headache with any version of wine.. >.< so lame
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

aldouxhuxley wrote:#! /bin/bash
WINEPREFIX=/home/weebz/.wine/wineprefix/WoW /home/weebz/.wine/WineVersions/1.2.1/bin/wine /home/weebz/.wine/wineprefix/WoW/drive_c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/Wow.exe -opengl
This will work. You can replace your home directory with $HOME:

#!/bin/bash
export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine/wineprefix/WoW
$HOME/.wine/WineVersions/1.2.1/bin/wine $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/Wow.exe -opengl
Directories are a bit deep too, but whatever works for you.
aldouxhuxley wrote:Oh and for some reason Steam is giving me a major headache with any version of wine.. >.< so lame
See other threads about Steam, specifically disabling community in-game.
Gert van den Berg

multiple wine versions

Post by Gert van den Berg »

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 02:54, vitamin <[email protected]> wrote:
aldouxhuxley wrote:
1. invoking env WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine-1.3.6/" and WINE=$HOME/.wine-1.3.6/wine winetricks doesn't seem to do anything that i can tell.
Because it's wrong. WINEPREFIX is NOT where Wine is installed but where Wine will create it's fake "windows" configuration. Obviously you can't have source directory as the wineprefix.

Gert van den Berg, this is your official warning, next time I see you post invalid information, or something completely irrelevant to what OP is asking about, all your messages will be removed from forum.
I assumed he wanted to use separate sets of settings for different
Wine versions. (Why install an full Wine instance in a hidden
directory? - This seemed to be what he managed by setting the
compile-time prefix, but what I guess the intention to be is: Run Wine
1.3.6 without messing up the configuration for Wine 1.2.2 (which Wine
1.3.6 will do when it upgrades the ~/.wine wineprefix if WINEPREFIX is
not set))

I usually find that the most reliable way of running multiple Wine
versions is just to use the full path of the wine executable before
all commands. (e.g. ~/wine-git/wine winecfg; /usr/bin/wine winecfg,
etc - it won't work for winetricks though, which is where WINE comes
in handy)

Gert
aldouxhuxley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aldouxhuxley »

the bold font is to point a user only interested in the non-verbose
vitamin wrote:export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine/wineprefix/WoW
$HOME/.wine/WineVersions/1.2.1/bin/wine $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/Wow.exe -opengl
nice that certainly makes it shorter

I finally got steam working with Counter-strike: Source but wow it is so finicky. I installed Steam with wine-1.3.11 (wouldn't work for me using 1.3.8 ) downloaded CSS (which didn't work with 1.3.11) then deleted the associated 1.3.11 prefix files to use the install path to configure CSS with 1.3.8 .... anyways .. lol

I had to do the following:
1. added 'gameoverlayrenderer' and disabled it via winecfg library
2. disabled all the notifications and game overlay in the steam client and CSS properties
3. added -window to the path because the full screen CSS was crashing immediately
4. install quartz (via winetrix) for some reason after a few crashes and some google searches I tried this and it worked? - not really sure if this helped at all tbh
5. winetricks(ed) allfonts (which errored) and separately winetricks(ed) tahoma to be sure
6. Adding http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=18679 to ..counter-strike source/cstrike/resource
7. set all settings to lowest possible setting then consoled 'net_graph 1' to see ping/fps when it did start up once
8. set resolution to 1440x900***

(8***) if I tried setting the resolution to my native res of 1680x1050 it would always crash and seemed to break it for the next few attempts so far it is bearable and i don't think i can improve it --> i can set 1440x900 as fullscreen once in the game and get pretty decent fps (spikes to 200 and avg ~70-80)

one last question then i'll stop bloating this thread :) but using winetricks to install drivers - can their effect on the client (if suspected to not be helping) simply be turned off via winecfg > Libraries?
vanguarda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vanguarda »

vitamin wrote:
But, in this case I must to install gecko, fonts, dcom and other libs everywhere I use a different wine version, isn't it?
Ranguvar
Level 2
Level 2

multiple wine versions

Post by Ranguvar »

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 00:24, vanguarda <[email protected]> wrote:
vitamin wrote:
But, in this case I must to install gecko, fonts, dcom and other libs everywhere I use a different wine version,  isn't it?
No.
Your WINEPREFIX will update when you update Wine.
vanguarda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vanguarda »

How much native wine versions can I use in a system? How "Env" argument and "wineprefix" can be used to solve wine differents versions install?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

vanguarda wrote:How much native wine versions can I use in a system?
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-46b876c ... c5c27b184a