MS Project and IE trusted zone

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
quantumphaze

Post by quantumphaze »

MS Project 2003 seems to mostly work in Wine RC1 but it needs to use a html renderer to do anything useful.

The problem is that whatever it uses need to be in the trusted zone in the Internet Explorer options which I don't know how to access. I tried to install IEs4Linux but that installs into its own wine environment ~/.ies4linux/ie6/ instead of ~/.wine/ so Project can't get use the settings.

Here's the error

Is there a way to:
  1. Install IE into the ~/.wine/ environment
  2. Use the Internet Options from the ~/.ies4linux/ie6/ environment and transfer them to ~/.wine/ and use the Gecko renderer
  3. Access the Internet Options dialog in vanilla flavoured Wine or
  4. Install Project into ~/.ies4linux/ie6/ instead
?
Thanks in advance
David Gerard

Post by David Gerard »

2008/5/24 quantumphaze <[email protected]>:
MS Project 2003 seems to mostly work in Wine RC1 but it needs to use a html renderer to do anything useful.
The problem is that whatever it uses need to be in the trusted zone in the Internet Explorer options which I don't know how to access. I tried to install IEs4Linux but that installs into its own wine environment ~/.ies4linux/ie6/ instead of ~/.wine/ so Project can't get use the settings.
Install Project into ~/.ies4linux/ie6/ instead
?
IEs4Linux is off-topic for here, but you should be able to do
something like this from the commandline:

export WINEPREFIX=~/.ies4linux/ie6
cd [wherever the installer is]
wine setup.exe [or however you start the installer]

This is how you can set up any number of wineprefixes and install apps
in each as you please.

- d.
quantumphaze

Post by quantumphaze »

Thanks for the quick response.

Well Project setup.exe refuses to run in the ies4linux environment.
I also checked if it was just RC1 and setup.exe works fine in ~/.wine so the hacks by ies4linux mess something up there.

Is there a way to access the Internet Options without installing IE or any guides on doing it manually? (dread the thought)

I doubt my option B would be feasible so I won't bother with that one.

All I need it to put "gbui://mainpage.htm" in the Trusted Zone in Internet Options. Though if Project works with Gecko at all after that I'll be very surprised.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

This seems to be a known problem in Windows as well: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887028#top

You could try using Wine's regedit to add the key specified under "Method 2" in that article to the Wine registry. If Project is just checking the registry for that key it might work, if it specifically needs IE it probably won't.
Bamm
Level 4
Level 4

Re: MS Project and IE trusted zone

Post by Bamm »

quantumphaze wrote:[*]Install IE into the ~/.wine/ environment
If .wine exists, delete or rename it. Then copy ~/.ies4linux/ie6/ as .wine.

Or, use Crossover to install IE (I trust Crossover more than IEs4Linux, because Crossover uses the IE installer while IEs4Linux extracts and copies the files by brute force and then modifies the registry directly as needed by IE). The copy the Crossover IE "bottle" as .wine.
quantumphaze wrote:[*]Install Project into ~/.ies4linux/ie6/ instead
env WINEPREFIX="~/.ies4linux/ie6/" wine setup.exe

NOTE: IEs4Linux creates a heavily modified wine environment! It makes it almost impossible to install other programs in it. I mentioned Crossover because I had been able to install programs in a Crossover IE bottle, but not in an IEs4Linux bottle.
quantumphaze

Post by quantumphaze »

dimesio wrote:This seems to be a known problem in Windows as well: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887028#top

You could try using Wine's regedit to add the key specified under "Method 2" in that article to the Wine registry. If Project is just checking the registry for that key it might work, if it specifically needs IE it probably won't.
Thanks a lot. It now works at an acceptable level. Fonts are a mess in the 'spreadsheet' like area but readable (pretty good for something that wasn't meant to use Gecko).

I'll be sure to submit a thing in appdb.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

quantumphaze wrote:
Fonts are a mess in the 'spreadsheet' like area but readable (pretty good for something that wasn't meant to use Gecko).
Do you have the Microsoft core fonts installed? If not, try it; sometimes that's all that's needed to fix font problems.