frame/graphics lag in microsoft Freelancer

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Basinator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Basinator »

bump
eps
Level 3
Level 3

frame/graphics lag in microsoft Freelancer

Post by eps »

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 3:46 AM, Basinator <[email protected]> wrote:
bump
Since when did freelancer install or work at all? I thought that game
was a total write off under Wine.
Basinator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Basinator »

Well, read the APPDB-article - It seems that it CAN work at whine.

I recall a mate told me years ago there was a problem with being in space, but that one got fixed as well as the directplay issue, it seems.

I also have an internet friend who is running FL with wine.

So if you like the game like me it might be worth to search for ways how we can get it to run 8)
Basinator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Basinator »

bump
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Basinator wrote:bump
Don't do that. People on the mailing list will have no idea what this is about. On the forum, it's just plain annoying.

If you want to do something useful, leave a comment in http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17934 confirming that this is still an issue in 1.2-rc1.
Basinator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Basinator »

And what shall I do then? The whole thread will die if I don't "bump" it, uh?
Plus what you mentioned is not the same bug...

But don't get me wrong, actually, I am very glad that you responded.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Basinator wrote:And what shall I do then? The whole thread will die if I don't "bump" it, uh?
Plus what you mentioned is not the same bug...

But don't get me wrong, actually, I am very glad that you responded.
If you don't have something new to add, don't post. If you bump this thread again without new information, I will close it.

If that bug isn't your problem, what exactly is? The last problem you mentioned was being unable to get past the splash screen.

What jumps out at me in the console output you posted, and which has already been pointed out to you, is this:

Code: Select all

err:winediag:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo The Mesa OpenGL driver is using software rendering, most likely your OpenGL drivers haven't been installed correctly 
I don't see any response from you saying that you reinstalled your opengl drivers properly. If you haven't, you need to do that before anything else. If you don't know how to properly install your graphics drivers, ask on your distro's support forum.
Basinator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Basinator »

If you don't have something new to add, don't post. If you bump this thread again without new information, I will close it.
W/o any offense, but what is the alternative then? We both know that a thread dies without a bump. Or should I re-open the thread then, maybe pointing to the old one as additional information?

Regarding OpenGL: Well, I am at least able to play Warcraft III in openGL mode.
If that bug isn't your problem, what exactly is? The last problem you mentioned was being unable to get past the splash screen.
Well, I can load the menu which comes right after the splash screen, but it is extremly laggy. But openGL was one of my assumptions as well since Warcraft III was laggy as well when I executed it in Directx mode.

(Some time passed before this text above and this one following now).

Ok, it seems that my graphics drivers are installed propertly. I can run glxgears (I get a error message, though, but the gears are rotating), and I checked via another command my hardware acceleration / direct rendering. Haven't tested the game till yet, though.

OK, but now I have to find my CD...>_>

I will respond once I got news.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Basinator wrote: Ok, it seems that my graphics drivers are installed propertly. I can run glxgears (I get a error message, though, but the gears are rotating)
Glxgears is a poor test, but you shouldn't be getting an error message from running it.

Follow the instructions here to check whether 3D acceleration is working correctly: http://wiki.winehq.org/3DDriverIssues
Basinator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Basinator »

Ty. But unfortunally I can't find ANYTHING with "trace" in the log - I also searched via ctrl + f to be sure.

Here is the logfile:
http://nopaste.info/463c88922d.html

This is from Warcraft III, which works with Wine. It uses openGL.

But one another thing came up to my mind: I installed "Freelancer" first with PlayOnLinux, but later I tried with wineprefixes. So...I guess I shall re-try installing it at normal wine.

However, here is a posting where I failed to follow a step-by-step guide. It isn't really much to read, so you might want to take a look:
http://freelancercommunity.net/viewtopi ... =3873#3873

Considering I got errors when I tried to install directx with winetricks it might be related to this problem as well - So I think this might be some useful information.

(Also a hint: I am using a 32-bit system)
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Outside howtos aren't supported here. They quickly become outdated and often cause more problems than they solve. The one you linked to calls for an awful lot of overrides, and it's over a year old.

So yes, start from scratch, a fresh install to a clean wineprefix, using current Wine (1.2-rc1), and no winetricks. If it won't install, post console output from trying to install. If it installs, post console output from trying run it.

Keep in mind, however, the problem may simply be your graphics hardware. ATI cards in general have problems in Wine, yours is old and no longer supported by the vendor, and the AppDB has comments indicating this game is known to have problems with ATI cards.
Basinator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Basinator »

Hi!

I meanwhile opened a new thread for a new try; you can find it here:
http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=49979#49979

(I hope you read this, somehow I didn't really get replies in my new topic....)