Heroes of the Storm on Linux Mint, everything is pitch black

Questions about Wine on Linux
masterfu678
Level 2
Level 2

Heroes of the Storm on Linux Mint, everything is pitch black

Post by masterfu678 »

Title says it all.

I had Ubuntu before and installed this game on it successfully, the only issue I had are the framerate problems while in game, it doesn't bother me much since it is still playable.

Than I decided to ditch Ubuntu after two weeks and went to Linux Mint.

Things were different in Linux Mint, I thought it will be the same since LM is using Ubuntu as a base, but I was wrong.

Here are screenshots of what I mean:
Attachments
snapshot3.jpeg
snapshot2.jpeg
snapshot1.jpeg
masterfu678
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Heroes of the Storm on Linux Mint, everything is pitch b

Post by masterfu678 »

I do not have a physical graphic card, it is Intel Integrated HD 3000.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Is this the same Wine version you were using on Ubuntu? Is the graphics driver the same version?
masterfu678
Level 2
Level 2

Post by masterfu678 »

dimesio wrote:Is this the same Wine version you were using on Ubuntu? Is the graphics driver the same version?
yes, Wine 1.7.38, I used the Wine PPA listed on here. Probably will get 1.7.41 once it is built.

Speaking of which, lemme try upgrading to 1.7.40 first.

I'm using mesa 10.6 for my graphic driver, as there is no drivers for Intel Integrated graphics. Back in Ubuntu I was using mesa 10.1, but the game runs fine except for the distorted battle.net UI, which I helped the other guy to fix in the other thread. Be default, Linux Mint has mesa 10.1 also but the game is like that even with mesa 10.1 on LM, so upgrading to mesa 10.6 does not impact this game, probably something else.
masterfu678
Level 2
Level 2

Post by masterfu678 »

Not entirely related to this but I also found that full screen videos are sometime choppy, which was not an issue on Ubuntu.

Yep, definitely a display driver issue. since I asked here, does anyone know the solution(s) to try?
masterfu678
Level 2
Level 2

Post by masterfu678 »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6#p1010066

So I asked this on the Linux Mint forum, and it was solved immediately. Turns out S3TC was not enabled by default in Linux Mint, the game works fine on Ubuntu is because Ubuntu probably had S3TC enabled by default

I installed driconf and selected "Enable S3TC texture compression even if software support is not available" and this problem was solved immediately.

If possible can a mod mark this thread as "SOLVED"?

Now the other issue with this game is the frame rate issue in game, but that depends on how the Wine devs improves Wine itself. I had tried the patched Wine with gallium-nine support but it is useless to me because I don't have Nvidia or ATI graphic cards.