How do I start to download

Questions about Wine on macOS.
queenie

How do I start to download

Post by queenie »

Wine was recommended to me as I'm on a Mac and wanting to use some software that will only run on Windows. I've looked at the first page of WineHQ, and haven't got a clue where to start with downloading, how much it costs, or anything else for that matter. Can anyone start me off, or tell me what I need to do first.
dimesio

Re: How do I start to download

Post by dimesio »

ischou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ischou »

The FAQ is a bit terse.

If you have zero knowledge and desire zero knowledge of working on the command-line and building software from scratch but you are willing to spend a few bucks for someone else to do it for you, I've successfully and happily used CrossOver for many years until they stopped making releases for my version of Mac OS X. CrossOver has an added benefit that it also simplifies installing your Windows software as well, because once you get Wine installed, there's still the matter of getting your software installed into Wine.

The basics for building-it-yourself is:

1) dig up the DVDs that came with your Mac and install the Developer's Tools from the DVD or install X-Code from the Mac App Store.

2) Go to MacPorts web page follow their instructions for installing it. (There's information in the FAQ about Homebrew and Fink. Homebrew lags behind MacPorts in keeping up-to-date with the latest versions of Wine, and Fink is even farther behind. I don't even know why we needed three different package managers.)

3) Open up a command terminal and use the MacPorts command to install wine, which basically involves issuing the command "sudo port install wine-devel" (without quotes of course). Answer "yes" to a few questions and when things start to churn, you can go get a snack or watch TV or something.

Hopefully, by the time you get back, wine will have been installed. Then, as I mentioned above, you'll need to use wine to run the installer for the game you want. That's a different question with different answers.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

If you just want something easy to use… buy Crossover. It uses Wine at its core, but is made for normal end users… Wine here at winehq.org is a much more technical.

http://www.codeweavers.com