Wine Quartz Driver not working?

Questions about Wine on macOS.
darklord
Level 2
Level 2

Wine Quartz Driver not working?

Post by darklord »

I've tried compiling the latest version of wine 1.7.39, interestingly the wine quartz driver doesn't seem to enable. The wine log says the window can't open and the driver not detected. Crossover 14.1.0, when compiled, worked fine. Is there a compile flag that was added recently and hasn't been documented yet? I tried --enable-quartz but no luck.
olivierfrdierick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Wine Quartz Driver not working?

Post by olivierfrdierick »

You may have to install quartz from winetricks.
ischou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ischou »

I'm confused. What driver are you trying to install? The X11 driver or the Native Mac driver?

When you run your configure script without any arguments, it should detect whether you have XQuartz or Apple's X11 installed (though XQuartz is now way preferred over Apple's X11 at this point), and the configure script will look for needed frameworks like Quicktime, Carbon, and ApplicationServices on your Mac and if they're found then it will build them.

When you're trying to enable your native Mac OS driver, the registry entry is now Graphics="mac" and Graphics="x11". I don't think there's any quartz anything in wine build for mac.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

The native Mac driver is made for Quartz. Quartz is like… the main graphics model… its various parts of Core Graphics, and often the term people use for talking about Core Graphics. That is where XQuartz gets its name… its X for Quartz. Quartz on Mac is different than Quartz in Windows, and has nothing to do with installing Quartz in Winetricks, they just happen to share a name, but are not even remotely similar.

To the actual problem… I normally only use XQuartz, but I just tested the Mac Driver and it doesn't seem to work for me either.. same issue.

EDIT:
I don't know if its a change in Wine that is causing it for me… I normally only use X, so never noticed, but I cant seem to get it to work at all even with older versions of Wine. It will use the Mac driver fine during wineprefix creation, but then it can't run anything else, even regedit or winecfg, it just says things like "err:display:macdrv_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found 1920x1200x32 @60!" and just hangs and never does anything.
I'm wondering if Apple made some change that has broken it… I'm still running 10.8 on this machine.

EDIT 2:
I got it all working… I've narrowed it down to something with the wineprefix creation I think. If the prefix is created with 1.7.39, it seems to never work for me… yet I created one with 1.7.38 and it worked, then swapped to 1.7.38 without using a new wineprefix, and the Mac driver worked ok...
darklord
Level 2
Level 2

Post by darklord »

Thanks for confirming it Doh! I was beginning to see it effect older versions of wine, that I knew had worked previously. I really was thinking it was user error, but for the life of me couldn't figure out what it was.

Doh, for the record, running the x11 driver with XQuartz is fine for most use. I really don't notice any performance improvements either. But sometimes you can get around graphical/integration issues by using the "mac" driver, just because of the very nature of X11 in OSX.