Wine breaks Windows XP installation (?)

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
yokese

Wine breaks Windows XP installation (?)

Post by yokese »

I have windows XP X64 installed in the primary partition of my primary HD and later I installed Ubuntu in another partition in the same hard disk.

Since then, ALWAYS, I have installed Wine in Ubuntu, when I reboot and try to boot Windows XP this has been corrupted (until I now Wine replaces explorer.exe from c:\windows directory) and Windows XP doesn't boot normally, I have to restore c:\windows\explorer.exe (at least to load it at beginining in the desktop) and my visual theme disappear in no more than 5 minutes. Also I don't know how may things had been corrupted....

What is this?
How could I fix this?
Is common knowed problem?

This is, at least a huge BUG.......
Usurp
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Wine breaks Windows XP installation (?)

Post by Usurp »

yokese wrote:I have windows XP X64 installed in the primary partition of my primary HD and later I installed Ubuntu in another partition in the same hard disk.

Since then, ALWAYS, I have installed Wine in Ubuntu, when I reboot and try to boot Windows XP this has been corrupted (until I now Wine replaces explorer.exe from c:\windows directory) and Windows XP doesn't boot normally, I have to restore c:\windows\explorer.exe (at least to load it at beginining in the desktop) and my visual theme disappear in no more than 5 minutes. Also I don't know how may things had been corrupted....

What is this?
How could I fix this?
Is common knowed problem?

This is, at least a huge BUG.......
No, you only forgot to read the available documentation.
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-497f1a2 ... 2c7767afa2
yokese

Post by yokese »

Ok thanks for your really FAST answer.

TO de developers:

I didn't read the FAQ, I will consider from now a FAQ as an application documentation.....

I think at least WINE installation SHOULD warn about this (I'd say) DANGEROUS CONFIGURATION THING in the installation process with CAPITALS. Also I don't agree with 'We have tried to make this hard to do, so you probably cannot do it by accident', beacuse Wine (in my case) was configured by default to point 'C:\'. I don't remember even if the Wine installation asked to point or not to C:\ (I think that no).

This ir really AWFUL. Fortunatelly I have recent HD images to restore it from....
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

yokese wrote:I think at least WINE installation SHOULD warn about this
Winecfg does not allow to change default mapping of the c: drive. That's enough.

If you know how to change c: drive mapping manually then you should know the consequences of doing it.