Getting BackTrace

Questions about Wine on Linux
rounaksingh17

Getting BackTrace

Post by rounaksingh17 »

Hi,
I am new with Backtrace. I found a bug with MS-Word. I have to submit a backtrace. I am using wine 1.7.33 on Linux Mint 13 x86.

I read the "http://wiki.winehq.org/Backtraces", and I thought it is simple. I opened two terminal one with wine <application.exe> and other with winedbg. I attached the process application.exe to winedbg. Then I did following in winedbg terminal:

Code: Select all

set $BreakOnFirstChance=0
cont
I also tried "winedbg <application.exe>". But it is nearly same as above.

Furthermore, I moved to crash the application. It did crash. Now, a dialog box appeared, stating "Application has encounted a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." There was an option to "Recover my work and Restart". There were three command buttons one is "Donot send"(For more, Please see the image of Dialog box using link provided below). First I did check the option and clicked on "Donot send". The application is restarted and process id changed and winedbg is detached. I was unable to get a backtrace from there.

Now, I started again, but this time I didnot check the option "Recover my work and Restart" and clicked on "Donot Send". Unfortunately, the application closed this time. Means the process was killed and I got no process to get backtrace.

For the third time, I thought I should do backtrace while the dialog box is on. I tried to get backtrace before clicking on "Donot send". Fortunately, this time I got a backtrace. I submitted it. However, guys on bug thread said the backtrace had nothing which was helpful. They asked me to resubmit the backtrace. They have given the commands and details on "how to backtrace" , but the details are same which I used in the first time. I didnot post for help on the bug thread I think it is for bugs.

Please help me to get a good backtrace. Moreover, I checked the forum for any threads related to my problem; I am unable to find anything.

One more thing, please tell me that the Dialog box I am talking about has one link to crashed error report. Is this Error Report is Backtrace?? It has assembly language codes.

Note:
1) A link to aforementioned dialog box -- Image of Dialog Box
2)Link to Error Report Contents -- Image of Error Report Content Dialog Box
dimesio

Re: Getting BackTrace

Post by dimesio »

Microsoft Office's crash handler (dw20.exe) conflicts with Wine's, and will intercept any backtrace. Disable it in winecfg. Don't try to use winedbg; just run the app, and use Wine's crash dialog to capture the backtrace.

Which bug is this?
rounaksingh17

Post by rounaksingh17 »

Bug #37390
rounaksingh17

Post by rounaksingh17 »

I disabled the dw20.exe in winecfg. Ran the word normally using wine, But I saw no wine's crash dialog box, instead word hanged and quitted.

The terminal showed message while quitting the application:
wine: cannot find L"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Microsoft Shared\\DW\\DW20.EXE"
err:clipboard:ChangeClipboardChain hWndViewer is lost

I disabled dw20.exe in winecfg. Link to screenshot:
Screenshot of winecfg

I also checked the regedit for "ShowCrashDialog" entry: It is 1. http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

rounaksingh17 wrote: The terminal showed message while quitting the application:
wine: cannot find L"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Microsoft Shared\\DW\\DW20.EXE"
That's normal when you've disabled dw20.exe

I don't know why the crash dialog isn't appearing. Try disabling it--the backtrace should then just go to the console. If that doesn't help, try reinstalling Office to a clean wineprefix. Disable dw20.exe, but don't set any other overrides (not even riched20).