winhelp.exe, winhlp32.exe only partially read app help file

Questions about Wine on Linux
ralphl
Level 2
Level 2

winhelp.exe, winhlp32.exe only partially read app help file

Post by ralphl »

I am installing a game using wine. It seems to install and run ok, but the Help function doesn't work correctly. The display of the .HLP file is different for what is displayed with Help running under windows vista. The .HLP Menu (Table of Contents) is displayed in what looks like a word processor table. Only the cells are very narrow (sometimes only 1 char wide) and very long. The text seems to be there, but only 1 char wide. I tried to drag the cell boundaries to make them wider, but to no avail. I executed the game .HLP file with both winhelp.exe and winhlp32.exe with the same results of very narrow cells in the Menu.

It looks to me like winhelp.exe and winhlp32.exe lack the functionality to handle this .HLP file, or that there is a bug that makes the "cells" narrow. Any help is appreciated. See the attached file.
Attachments
Bad Help Display.png
dimesio

Re: winhelp.exe, winhlp32.exe only partially read app help f

Post by dimesio »

Wine version? If it's not the latest development release, upgrade. If the problem is present in 1.7.32, file a bug.
ralphl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ralphl »

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin with wine 1.6.1. Do you know where I can find a wine 1.7.32 download for that OS. The closest I could come was here http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/wine?dist=precise . It is 1:1.7.18-0ubuntu1.

Thanks for responding
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

If there are no binary packages, you will have to build Wine yourself.

What game is this?
ralphl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ralphl »

The game is Bicycle Bridge. Are there instructions someplace for building wine?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

ralphl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ralphl »

Since I am building wine on a 32 bit machine I went to http://wiki.winehq.org/Recommended_Packages and tried to run

Code: Select all

sudo sh ./install-wine-deps.sh
This resulted in

Code: Select all

E: Unable to locate package libhal-storage-dev-dev
I then installed libhal-storage-dev, since I couldn't find libhal-storage-dev-dev. This did not fix the problem. I still got the same error. Do you know if the script (install-wine-deps.sh) has a bug calling for libhal-storage-dev-dev, or does such a package really exist.

Thanks for your patience.
ralphl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ralphl »

I really could use some help with the previous post. Does anybody know if the script (install-wine-deps.sh) has a bug calling for libhal-storage-dev-dev, or does such a package really exist someplace? I am trying to build the latest version of wine for Ubuntu 12.04.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

HAL support is only needed on legacy systems that still use HAL. I don't use Ubuntu, so I have no idea whether 12.04 does or doesn't; ask on the Ubuntu forum. As for the script, that is not part of Wine. The script itself says at the beginning
What I would suggest is scrolling down the page you found that link on to the Ubuntu and Linux Mint section and following those instructions for installing the development packages.