"Cannot initialize Direct3D Device" when launching game

Questions about Wine on Linux
daharn
Level 1
Level 1

"Cannot initialize Direct3D Device" when launching game

Post by daharn »

Hi,

I try to run "Gothic" (1), which is listed as working with wine, on my netbook with OpenSuse 13.1. When I open the exe with wine, the splashscreen is shown, but followed by a wine window, saying
"Cannot initialize Direct3D Device. Unsupported Video-Hardware or Video-Drivers?".
Apart from that, there are no further error messages only a couple of "fixme" prompts in my terminal.

My VGA is an Intel 945 GME which is also listed as such by OpenSuse. As driver "intel" is listed.
I also know that I could run the game just fine back when I had windows installed, so the hardware should meet the requirements.

Does anyone know, whether I need to to specify my graphics card to wine in a certain way? Or could there be something else missing?
dimesio

Re: "Cannot initialize Direct3D Device" when launching game

Post by dimesio »

Sounds like it might be this bug: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=34871.

Keep in mind that even though your hardware may have been adequate in Windows for this game, Linux does not have the same graphics driver. Older Intel chipsets in particular lacked some DX9 functions in the hardware, but made up for it with software emulation in the Windows driver. That emulation is not included in the Linux driver.
daharn
Level 1
Level 1

Re: "Cannot initialize Direct3D Device" when launching game

Post by daharn »

Sounds like it might be this bug: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=34871.
I stumbled upon this before, but since it does not crash but seemingly does not find any Direct 3D Renderer, I thougt it was something else. If not, do you see any sense in downgrading wine?
Keep in mind that even though your hardware may have been adequate in Windows for this game, Linux does not have the same graphics driver. Older Intel chipsets in particular lacked some DX9 functions in the hardware, but made up for it with software emulation in the Windows driver. That emulation is not included in the Linux driver.
This game is from 2001 and according to the manual requires at least directx7. So if only the dx9 support is limited, it shouldn't affect me.