emWave, a Heartmath application

Questions about Wine on Linux
Scottyie

emWave, a Heartmath application

Post by Scottyie »

Hello, I'm a very new user to Linux and Wine. I'm trying to get a Windows and Mac compatible application, emWave, to work on two computers with Ubuntu 11.10 Desktop installed as their only OS. The app monitors your heart rate, and leads you through some exercises to decrease your stress level. It uses a USB device. I've installed wine, tried the set-up for the app, but it eventually leads me to an error message that doesn't go away. I've searched the app database, and it's not there. Could someone tell me if there's any hope of getting this thing running? Thank you.
badflsh

Re: emWave, a Heartmath application

Post by badflsh »

I know that this is an old topic but I came across it when researching the same question. Since I never found an answer I wanted to post my experience.

In short, yes the software that comes with the emwave2 installed without issue for me, though in all fairness I am at work and my actual emwave isnt here so I haven't been able to test that the device itself can communicate (I will post an update later)

I am running xubuntu 13.10 with wine 1.4.1
Here are the steps that I took.
1) In wine config
-graphics tab - check "Emulate a virtual desktop" I set resolution to 1024x768 but that likely doesnt mater.
-drives tab - click the autodetect button
2) insert the CD and once its mounted, right click on the windows install file and choose to run it with wine.
3) The emwave software will probably detect that some other software is missing our out of date (visual C++ etc) and ask if you want to install it. Just say yes and it does the rest for you.

This installed whatever was on the CD that came with my emwave2 (I believe it was ver 2.2.2.something.

4) After that was installed, I went to the help menu and told emwave to look for updates.
5) It found a newer version available and said that I needed to upgrade visual C++ to an even newer version so said ok.
6) After the visual C++ update installed, It then requested a reboot. I didn't trust the program to reboot the machine properly so I chose cancel instead of reboot now. I then closed the application and manually restarted.
7) after the machine came back up, I opened emwave again and re-scanned for updates the same way. This time, it downloaded the emwave update.
8)Next it said that a version of emwave was already running and that I needed to exit before continuing. I closed the emwave window that was within the virtual desktop (NOT THE VIRTUAL DESKTOP ITSELF) and clicked ok
9)From there it behaved just like a windows install.
jrswab

Post by jrswab »

Wow looks like this thread can only get one post per year.

I have been trying to get this software to work on my linux machine but all i get is a driver error...
jrswab

Post by jrswab »

Here is a screen shot of the exact error:

I even tried coping the files from my windows laptop to the file (the EmWave file was empty were the database should have been) but still this error arose.