Transition from Windows to Linux with help of wine easy?

Questions about Wine on Linux
MrRhoads

Transition from Windows to Linux with help of wine easy?

Post by MrRhoads »

Hi,

I´m thinking about only running Ubuntu on mu laptop and to use Wine for certain programs and games.
For thoose of you who has made the switch was it difficult to get everything to work?
dimesio

Re: Transition from Windows to Linux with help of wine easy?

Post by dimesio »

How easy it will be depends a great deal on exactly what those "certain programs and games" are. I was lucky, and the ones I wanted to use worked pretty much out of the box or with minimal tweaking, but it's definitely not that easy for everyone. It's not uncommon for users to show up here saying they can't get anything to run and have it turn out that the problem is simply that all the apps/games they have tried are known not to work in Wine at present. Check the AppDB to see what (if anything) is already known about the apps/games you want to run.
MrRhoads

Re: Transition from Windows to Linux with help of wine easy?

Post by MrRhoads »

dimesio wrote:How easy it will be depends a great deal on exactly what those "certain programs and games" are. I was lucky, and the ones I wanted to use worked pretty much out of the box or with minimal tweaking, but it's definitely not that easy for everyone. It's not uncommon for users to show up here saying they can't get anything to run and have it turn out that the problem is simply that all the apps/games they have tried are known not to work in Wine at present. Check the AppDB to see what (if anything) is already known about the apps/games you want to run.
Thanks for the tip, will check th AppDB.
I don´t mind some problem solving.