ISBEW64 has many errors while trying to install

Questions about Wine on Linux
Aajohn
Level 2
Level 2

ISBEW64 has many errors while trying to install

Post by Aajohn »

I may be wasting my time but am trying to install Nikon ViewNX2 under wine. (Latest version 1.7...) ISBEW64 throws lots of errors.When I tried with wine 1.5........ same thing happened but what did get installed ran after a fashion but the screen locked up so couldn't even kill the wine server. Fortunately I could navigate ViewNX2 via the keyboard and close it free the screen. I couldn't get that far with 1.7....

Any thoughts on fixes for ISBEW64?

I also installed the NET facility for wine.

ViewNX2 is provided with Nikon cameras to process the files it produces. It's something of a problem for linux users especially those that work from raw files. Nikon software generates a unique none standard colour profile for each shot. This makes it extremely difficult to obtain Nikon colours when open source software is used.. Often the colours are unrealistic as a result. ViewNX2 can be downloaded free from Nikon's site. There is also a pay for version with better picture editing facilities.

John
-
KenSharp
Level 4
Level 4

Re: ISBEW64 has many errors while trying to install

Post by KenSharp »

Use WINEARCH=win32 to install.

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24611
Aajohn
Level 2
Level 2

Re: ISBEW64 has many errors while trying to install

Post by Aajohn »

Only one of those errors this time and the application nearly runs. Don't seem to be able to save a modified picture but that isn't entirely clear facility in the app..

Installation is a bit strange. I clicked on welcome on the CD that came with the camera. Answered the questions and clicked install. An install pane pops up showing progress dots. These advance for a while and then stop but can be updated by hovering the mouse on and off the pane. Left it like this for 10mins and then moved the pane out of the way and clicked install again. License agreement popped up etc. When this had all completed I had to kill the wineserver to get rid of the window.

Started ViewNX2 from the icon that had appeared on my desktop. Had a wine error message but it loaded and showed all of the shots in the photo album I accessed last install. Clicked on one and then on edit and it went to the editor.

The editors main view and other parts don't update correctly. The main view can be refreshed by toggling an info button which brings up camera settings and the toggling that off again. Same sort of thing with the adjustment pane. Parts of this can be expanded and collapsed and do not update when the scroll bar is used. The bits that were out of the view corrupt.

The adjustments are via sliders with number boxes at the end. Some are only available when a raw file has been loaded. The number box updated correctly on one of those and the changes were shown when the info button was toggled. The rest of the sliders could be moved around but the numbers didn't update. They could be updated by clicking in the number box. :-) The thumbnail view of the image updated then, main view didn't until the info button was toggled.

When I clicked on welcome to install and wine popped up I requested an HDMI sized window. When I started the app it took up all of the screen - 27in high def, I'd guess Q4Wine asked for screen size but it doesn't show the app. I was offered other options such as virtual desktop emulation but can't see any way of changing that sort of thing now. Have tried setting for XP but a save to nowhere didn't complete so set it back to 7.

Any thoughts? Having seen how quickly it can fix a number of problems in raw files I can see why people use it. I haven't run windows at all for at least 15 years. It seems to me that one problem with this sort of thing is knowing which DLL's are causing grief. The app seems to use the MS C distributable.

John
-
Aajohn
Level 2
Level 2

Re: ISBEW64 - many errors installing Nikon ViewNX2

Post by Aajohn »

Hope to change the title. Should have mentioned the application from the start.

John
-