games under wine crash at keyboard input

Questions about Wine on Linux
melancholy
Level 2
Level 2

games under wine crash at keyboard input

Post by melancholy »

Hi wine geeks,
As many, I use wine to play windows games under linux (gentoo x86_64).
Since yesterday however, every game running on wine crashes as soon as I press any key on the keyboard.

I'm getting this error below after pressing the down-arrow key:

Code: Select all

0x7ddc9500 ImmProcessKey+0x80 [/home/.../wow64-1.7.8/wine32/dlls/imm32/../../../wine-1.7.8/dlls/imm32/imm.c:2898] in imm32: movl	0xc(%eax),%ecx
Unable to access file '/home/.../wow64-1.7.8/wine32/dlls/imm32/../../../wine-1.7.8/dlls/imm32/imm.c'
mouse and joystick input however work without problems.
any ideas what might be causing this?

I will try to compile the newest version of wine to see if I can replicate this behaviour and will post the result here...
melancholy
Level 2
Level 2

Re: games under wine crash at keyboard input

Post by melancholy »

I noticed that this only happens for games started via steam (wine).
Using native steam, I am able to play the few wine games which allow that...

Now I'm even more confused..

Edit: Now, I can verify that starting games within steam (wine) will crash them. Starting them via the exe in their directory seems to be a workaround.
I really wonder if anyone else is having this problem, too.

Edit 2: Apparently, the only game which still crashes is resident evil revelations:

Code: Select all

0x7df6cbb6 ImmProcessKey+0x76 in imm32: movl	0xc(%eax),%edx
No idea though how to proceed from here on..
Guess I'll try another version of wine
eeepc

Post by eeepc »

I have the same problem with Euro Truck Simulator 2.

The thing is, I'm not sure how to test if starting the exe itself from "their directories" work, since I have a Wheezy and the only way to install wine versions working with Steam is through PlayOnLinux. How do I start an executable with POL-installed wine version? I tried by adding the file from Steam/SteamApps/common/game_name/bin, but it fires up Steam, then game, then crashes.

The problem persists in every version capable of running Steam -- 1.7.8 - 1.7.10.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

It's a bug that popped up recently: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35361

As a workaround you can disable the steam overlay in games that crash (in steam right click the game name and select properties, then uncheck "Enable Steam community in-game"). Or you can disable it altogether with winecfg -> libraries, add "gameoverlayrenderer.dll" and select "disable".

... I use Debian as well and have been building packages using Ubuntu's sources; one of these days I should probably make a post about it.
melancholy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melancholy »

spoon0042 wrote:It's a bug that popped up recently: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35361
[...snip...]
Even though that's bad, I'm glad to see that my system is not the cause ~.~.
bleh, bye bye steam overlay for now then...