Could you adopt ReactOS-programs?

Questions about Wine on Linux
theuserbl
Level 2
Level 2

Could you adopt ReactOS-programs?

Post by theuserbl »

I know, that you don't like the ReactOS-people, but is it possible, that you could integrate charmap.exe and mspaint.exe from ReactOS to WINE?
They are part of every Windows since Win95/WinNT4, so every Windows-developer can assume, that this programs are on the system and so he could start them from the own program.

I have just written in the ReactOS-forum, that I would wish a better cooperation between the WINE-developer and the ReactOS-developer.
I don't think, that the code-one-way makes sense. WINE-code will be finding its way to ReactOS, but ReactOS-code don't find its way to WINE since some years.

Greatings
theuserbl
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Could you adopt ReactOS-programs?

Post by oiaohm »

theuserbl Both projects are different licenses.

Wine uses the LGPL and Reactos uses GPL as its core license. To be part of wine source base the code would have to be licenses LGPL. GPL code cannot be inserted into a LGPL code base. Yes viral nature. Yet LGPL inserted into a GPL code base is acceptable.

This is where part of the 1 directional thing comes from.

Its not like there are not ways around the LGPL conflicting with other licenses. Mono and winegecko both have had/have license conflicts. Maybe charmap.exe and mspaint.exe from ReactOS could be done as a stand alone package that can be optionally pulled in when a prefix is created in the same way winegecko and mono are.

Next is wine project itself has a very strict include policy. Requiring test cases of wine to work with what ever alterations. Sometimes it takes years even for code from codeweavers to be able to pass wine quality control to be included.
theuserbl
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Could you adopt ReactOS-programs?

Post by theuserbl »

oiaohm wrote:Wine uses the LGPL and Reactos uses GPL as its core license.
I have now looked more special at it. It is really true for the core. But not for all the programs.

MS-Paint for example
http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos/trun ... s/mspaint/
here the one file
http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos/trun ... iew=markup
and in the header text stands:
"* LICENSE: LGPL"

But for CharMap you are right. :(

Greatings
theuserbl