Mechwarrior 3 keeps crashing

Questions about Wine on Linux
colmeweb

Mechwarrior 3 keeps crashing

Post by colmeweb »

Hey everybody. I'm a little new to wine and I'm having a little trouble with an old game. I have installed and run Mechwarrior 3 (1999), it was designed to run on windows and it installed fine, but wouldn't run until I burnt the iso to a disc, but after that I was able to run it ok.

There are two problems:
1. whenever an option menu window (Are you sure you want to quit the game ok/no) opens the game freezes. The only way I can close it is by force quitting the program. I know I'm probable just missing a library or plugin or something, but I have no idea where to start.

2. Sometimes the sound on the game gets scratchy and then cuts out. It won't go back to normal unless I close and restart the game.

I am running Wine 1.4.1 on Ubuntu 13.04 and Mechwarrior has a patch so it is technically v1.2

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
DanKegel

Re: Mechwarrior 3 keeps crashing

Post by DanKegel »

Try wine-1.6? And if you still have trouble, attach a log.
Retro Gamer

Re: Mechwarrior 3 keeps crashing

Post by Retro Gamer »

I am running Alsa/PulseAudio in my Manjaro/Arch Xfce 64bit box and had the scratchy as well as too fast playing sound with Wine 1.4 through 1.7.7. I tried every fix I found and nothing worked. Then I found a simple fix in WineHQ's Bugzilla comments by a user named unimatrix which solved it in all those versions of WINE.

I don't run Ubuntu so not sure if its the same as where my config file was but if you're also running PulseAudio then as root try using gedit or whatever text editor you prefer to open PulseAudio's config file:

"/etc/pulse/daemon.conf"

Look for the line similiar to this:

default-fragment-size-msec = ##

and change it to:

default-fragment-size-msec = 5

Save that and close the text editor then either restart your PC or restart PulseAudio from a terminal with:

"pulseaudio -k"

Followed by:

"pulseaudio --start"

THAT'S IT!
After reading all the fixes on wiki's all over that little change fixed it. I haven't had the problem since.

colmeweb wrote:Hey everybody. I'm a little new to wine and I'm having a little trouble with an old game. I have installed and run Mechwarrior 3 (1999), it was designed to run on windows and it installed fine, but wouldn't run until I burnt the iso to a disc, but after that I was able to run it ok.

There are two problems:
1. whenever an option menu window (Are you sure you want to quit the game ok/no) opens the game freezes. The only way I can close it is by force quitting the program. I know I'm probable just missing a library or plugin or something, but I have no idea where to start.

2. Sometimes the sound on the game gets scratchy and then cuts out. It won't go back to normal unless I close and restart the game.

I am running Wine 1.4.1 on Ubuntu 13.04 and Mechwarrior has a patch so it is technically v1.2

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.