Civilization 4 starts, but the screen is all white

Questions about Wine on Linux
Lockheed
Level 2
Level 2

Civilization 4 starts, but the screen is all white

Post by Lockheed »

I am on Arch linux 64bit, using latest Wine.

I installed Civ4+Warlords+BTs and patched them.

I set my wine according to this:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=10158
(the first green section)

The game starts fine (except the graphics behind the progress bar that supposed to be there are not there). I can hear Intro movie and then Menu music. However, the screen remains completely white. I suppose I could click on Quit button if I could guess where it was, but Alt+F4 works faster.

What can I do to make this work?
dimesio

Re: Civilization 4 starts, but the screen is all white

Post by dimesio »

Your link is giving a 404 page not found. Do you mean http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=10158? The instructions there are for Wine 1.4.1, which is old and no longer supported. They may not apply to current Wine.

You didn't mention what Wine version you're using; if it's not the latest development release, upgrade.
Lockheed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lockheed »

Yes, that's the link. My Wine is 1.7.6
Lockheed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lockheed »

So I tried doing it again, this time I installed wine prefix with 32 extension. I followed steps of another guy with Arch 64 who got it running.

The same result. Here is terminal output (repeats several times per second):

err:d3d_draw:drawStridedFast >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_FRAMEBUFFER_OPERATION (0x506) from glDrawElementsBaseVertex @ ../../../wine/dlls/wined3d/drawprim.c / 73
fixme:d3d:context_check_fbo_status FBO status GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_DRAW_BUFFER (0x8cdb)
fixme:d3d:context_check_fbo_status Location SFLAG_INRB_MULTISAMPLE (0x100000).
fixme:d3d:context_check_fbo_status Color attachment 0: (0x1cd0d2f8) WINED3DFMT_B8G8R8X8_UNORM 1024x768 2 samples.
fixme:d3d:context_check_fbo_status Depth attachment: (0x1cd396d0) WINED3DFMT_D24_UNORM_S8_UINT 1024x768 2 samples.
fixme:d3d:context_check_fbo_status FBO status GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_DRAW_BUFFER (0x8cdb)
fixme:d3d:context_check_fbo_status Color attachment 0: (0x1cd0d2f8) WINED3DFMT_B8G8R8X8_UNORM 1024x768 2 samples.
fixme:d3d:context_check_fbo_status Depth attachment: (0x1cd396d0) WINED3DFMT_D24_UNORM_S8_UINT 1024x768 2 samples.
err:d3d_draw:drawStridedFast >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_FRAMEBUFFER_OPERATION (0x506) from glDrawElementsBaseVertex @ ../../../wine/dlls/wined3d/drawprim.c / 73

I start thinking that maybe it has something to do with video drivers. The nature of the error, and the fact that I am using ATI Catalyst, while the guy is using Nvidia drivers.
Bladeforce
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bladeforce »

I have this game working fine but in playonlinux and using wine engine 1.4.1. sometimes regressions happen with later versions, give 1.4.1 a try
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... ngId=80314

Bladeforce please do not be recommend no longer supported versions when applications are marked as working in the appdb.winehq.org with currently supported versions. In this case 1.6.

1.4.1 will fail completely on some systems Bladeforce due to changes in the kernel and other parts since that time. Yes 1.4.1 is fully no longer supported for anything other than regression tests and very rare applications.
Lockheed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lockheed »

Thanks for the link, but as I said in the first post, I have already done all this. It doesn't solve my problem.

I need to add that this problem exists only with Beyond the Sword extension. Bare Civilization 4 runs fine.
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

Lockheed read the test reports on that page. 1.6 is marked as working 1.7.3 is marked as busted. You told me you were using 1.7.6. So I am guessing here there is some regression between 1.6 and 1.7.3 that is not fixed in 1.7.6

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... ngId=80314 this report page is meant to be for all parts installed. So as long as everyone has been reporting correctly you need to try 1.6 next.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I have Civ 4 Complete installed. It works fine in 1.7.6. I also have an Nvidia card, and yes, the problem could be the ATI driver. Most gold and platinum test reports for games are on Nvidia hardware using the proprietary driver.

One thing you could try is running in an emulated virtual desktop.
Bladeforce
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bladeforce »

oiaohm wrote:http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... ngId=80314

Bladeforce please do not be recommend no longer supported versions when applications are marked as working in the appdb.winehq.org with currently supported versions. In this case 1.6.

1.4.1 will fail completely on some systems Bladeforce due to changes in the kernel and other parts since that time. Yes 1.4.1 is fully no longer supported for anything other than regression tests and very rare applications.

Many apologies but I a always wonder how many people have problems with software (different wine versions) simply because they have one installation that has different wine tricks enabled that cause problems with different Windows programs rather than wine itself
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

Bladeforce winetricks triggered errors are very rare. winetricks most common errors is it don't work at all due to download locations moved and using winetricks on 64 bit prefixs and over usage. Winetricks not supported in 64 bit wineprefixes. So WINEARCH=win32 is required on 64bit systems at prefix create. These are not particular wine version errors. So far I have not seen one documented case of winetricks it self being the cause of Application failure due to updates of winetricks or using new winetricks with old wine. I am not saying it does not happen. Its just that rare I have not seen it in all the times winetricks has existed. Yes I have done irc and support here for all that time Bladeforce.

Users abusing winetricks has been. More native does not equal better. I have never had a case of a working winetricks that is old cause a issue either.

dimesio mind posting a appdb test report some time on it would have been useful to know it works from the appdb.