Trouble with Gecko Installer

Questions about Wine on Linux
gw1500se
Level 2
Level 2

Trouble with Gecko Installer

Post by gw1500se »

I am stuck for the moment with Wine 1.4.1 on RHEL 6. My problem is that wine_gecko will not install. If I use 'wine_gecko-1.4-X86.msi', it tells me the file is corrupt and I've tried several mirrors. All have the same sha1sum (c30aa99621e98336eb4b7e2074118b8af8ea2ad5) after download. I tried using 'wine_gecko-2.24-X86.msi' but I get an unhandled page fault so I am guessing it is incompatible with wine 1.4.1. Can someone help me find a good copy of 'wine_gecko-1.4-X86.msi' or any other version that is compatible? TIA.
dimesio

Re: Trouble with Gecko Installer

Post by dimesio »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/fi ... Gecko/1.4/

A table of which gecko version works with which Wine version is here: http://wiki.winehq.org/Gecko
gw1500se
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gw1500se »

Thanks for the reply but that is not really the issue. The gecko version I need (wine_gecko.1.4-x86.msi) is corrupt on all mirrors. At least that is the error I get when it tries to install. I need a good copy.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Sourceforge is the official source. Since no else has reported this problem, I'd say something is wrong at your end. Try downloading from a different machine.
gw1500se
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gw1500se »

Thanks again for the reply. I already had done that and the sha1sum was the same in all cases. I then have to assume that there is something wrong with wine that is giving me a false BAD EXE error. I just don't know where else to look.
gw1500se
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gw1500se »

Perhaps my process is wrong. When I run winecfg for the first time it automatically tries to install gecko. The panel says to use the version for my installation. If I click install, is that not the version it downloads? I do download the correct version and put it in /usr/share/wine/gecko before running winecfg but what is the gecko installer really downloading? Is it "downloading" the version in /usr/share/wine/gecko? If so how does it know the file name? How do I tell winecfg what to use when it tries to install gecko? None of this is really covered in the install documentation.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The message "Bad EXE format" does not mean the file is corrupt. It means the file is not an exe file, which it isn't. It's an msi file, and you can't simply run msi files the same way you do exes. And yes, that info is documented: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-a78d6af ... 1851da32e2.

But you shouldn't need to run the wine-gecko msi file yourself, as Wine should install it for you upon creation of a new wineprefix. Most distros package wine-gecko, and that's the recommended way to install it. If yours doesn't, follow the instructions on the Gecko wiki page to download it and put it where Wine will find it.

If you don't already have the msi file on your system in a location where Wine looks for it, Wine will try to download it from Sourceforge, and it should download the correct gecko version for whatever Wine version you're using. However, that process is prone to failure from connection problems.
gw1500se
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gw1500se »

Thanks again for the reply. It seems to me that kind of information should be in the install documentation not somewhere in an FAQ. For all my searching for the error message that never came up.

As I said, when I run wine the first time the Wine Gecko Installer window pops up and that is where my trouble starts. I take it from your comments that the EPEL package does not contain gecko which is why I'm having so much trouble. Apparently the correct version is downloaded but winecfg must be expecting an exe rather than msi since it gives me the Bad EXE error. Who maintains wine in EPEL and why is it so far behind version wise, aside from not containing required dependencies?

I have the msi file, the problem is where to put it so wine can find it. The reason I use /usr/share/wine/gecko is because that is where I found the version downloaded by the first run of winecfg. It seems like a catch 22. I can't run wine successfully until the gecko package is installed but I can't install the gecko package until wine is configured. I'm thinking now that maybe even after winecfg fails the first time, I can manually install gecko using msiexec. However, all the errors I get initially without gecko makes me question the integrity of the installation.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Wine-gecko (and wine-mono) should be separate packages from your distro; you might want to double-check that you haven't simply overlooked them. But if they truly don't exist for your distro, there's nothing anyone here can do about it. Packages are built by the volunteers from the distros, and what they package is entirely up to them, because they are doing it on their own time.

Two things I can think of that might be causing your problem:

1. Did you delete the wineprefix after each failed install? You need to.
2. Where is Wine actually installed on your system? The gecko wiki page notes:
If you installed Wine in some $prefix rather than /usr, it will look in $prefix/share/wine/gecko/ instead of /usr/share/wine/gecko. e.g. if you installed it from source, then the default-path is /usr/local/share/wine/gecko
The only other thing I can suggest is that you contact RHEL's official support channels for help.