printing to cups-pdf

Questions about Wine on Linux
grumpshappy13
Level 2
Level 2

printing to cups-pdf

Post by grumpshappy13 »

Can someone instruct me on how to setup wine to print to cups-pdf? Wine 1.7.1-1, Debian 7.1 trying to print from Medlin general ledger version 3.5.

Jerry
dimesio

Re: printing to cups-pdf

Post by dimesio »

Select it from the print dialog in your app, just as you would any other printer.
grumpshappy13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by grumpshappy13 »

The only thing on the menu is "default printer". It starts and the gives message "aborting printing" then jam the computer.

Am I missing a microsoft apt?

Jerry
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Try wine notepad; is cups-pdf listed there?
grumpshappy13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by grumpshappy13 »

The PDF (cups-pdf) shows up in the printer setup menu on notepad. I used the notepad in the bottle containing the Medlin general ledger program. Now I'm using a default wine bottle. When I set the program to run, did the following:

installed mdac28, jet40 and vcrun6 with winetricks.

copied msvbvm.dll, odbc32.dll, and odbccp32.dll from win2k and made native.

exported HKLM\Software\ODBC from win2k and imported it into bottle

copied dao.dll from win2k and made native.

In an attempt to get the printer work, I copied MMsystem.dll, winspool.exe, winspool.dvr and mmsystem.dll from win2k and made the native.

The printer still did'nt work.

Jerry
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Try a clean wineprefix (no native dlls). Also, you didn't mention what version of Wine you're using. If it's not the latest development release, upgrade. If it doesn't work in the current development release, post terminal output.
grumpshappy13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by grumpshappy13 »

using wine 1.7.1-1 bottle with native msvbvm50.dll copied from win2k (will not load without this dll)

Here is the terminal output:

jerry@munn001:~/.wine/drive_c/MWACCT$ wine medlin.exe
jerry@munn001:~/.wine/drive_c/MWACCT$ fixme:olepicture:OLEPictureImpl_SaveAsFile (0x14a5a8)->(0x156290, 0, (nil)), hacked stub.
fixme:olepicture:OLEPictureImpl_SaveAsFile (0x14a5a8)->(0x19c370, 0, (nil)), hacked stub.
fixme:olepicture:OLEPictureImpl_FindConnectionPoint no connection point for {33ad4ed2-6699-11cf-b70c-00aa0060d393}
fixme:olepicture:OLEPictureImpl_FindConnectionPoint no connection point for {33ad4f92-6699-11cf-b70c-00aa0060d393}

I attempted to print a balance sheet on the default printer (cannot change). Every thing appeared to have printed a pdf. The file is supposed to be placed in /home/Jerry/PDF but its not their. Then I went thru file menu to exit and it appeared to close normally.

Jerry
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

There's nothing obvious in the console output. Does printing to cups-pdf from wine notepad work as expected? Does printing to a real printer from Medlin work?

Is there a downloadable demo/trial version of this app that exhibits the problem?
grumpshappy13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by grumpshappy13 »

notepad in wine 1.7.1-1 works fine. I don't have printer or cups printer on that computer. Initially this computer was a client on a cups network,but Medlin did not recognize the printer.

Medlin version 3.5 is an older version and is not downloadable anymore.. If you will supply me with an e-mall address, I'll email a copy of the trail version.

Do you know what "olepicture:OLEPictureImpl"is? Could it be part of dcom?

jerry
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Does the current trial version have the same problem on your system? It doesn't on mine, so if it does on yours, it's something specific to your system.
grumpshappy13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by grumpshappy13 »

The printing works fine on the current version. I also changed cups-pdf form amd64 to i386 but it made no difference on version 3.5.

Do you have another suggestion?

Jerry
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You can file a bug.
grumpshappy13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by grumpshappy13 »

There was an obvious work around that I missed. The program will print to the screen in a viewer. The viewer has a menu item to copy the report to the clipboard. Then use kwrite (or some other linux text editor) and paste report into it. Then print. The print format is correct. Now Medlin general ledger 3.5 can be used in linux. The only downside is that you cannot minimize the program. If one tries, an error number is spit out and the program closes.

Jerry