Wine on an Ubuntu/Windows duaboot

Questions about Wine on Linux
scironic

Wine on an Ubuntu/Windows duaboot

Post by scironic »

I'm having trouble using wine on my Ubuntu half of my computer when installing windows programmes.

My windows started screwing up a while ago (I can only log in for about 1/10 tries) and I decided that I'd rather install Ubuntu then restore my original OS. I ended up using a dual-boot so that I didn't have to wipe everything and in case I urgently needed windows for something Ubuntu couldn't do.

So there are a couple of windows based softwares I need to install atm, but when I open the exe with wine, it defaults to install in the C directory on my windows half of the computer. I'm having trouble redirecting it into my .wine folder.

Can anyone help?
dimesio

Re: Wine on an Ubuntu/Windows duaboot

Post by dimesio »

scironic wrote: but when I open the exe with wine, it defaults to install in the C directory on my windows half of the computer.
The only way that could happen would be if you had manually removed the c: symlink created by Wine in ~/.wine/dosdevices and replaced it with one pointing to your Windows partition. The solution in that case would be to undo what you did.

Or perhaps you are just confused about what C: drive Wine is pointing to. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-ac3550b ... fe91a891d6
scironic

Re: Wine on an Ubuntu/Windows duaboot

Post by scironic »

Thanks!

I had a few other problems but managed to find a solution in the end.