Torchlight 2 Error on Start up

Questions about Wine on Linux
hopup

Torchlight 2 Error on Start up

Post by hopup »

Code: Select all

An error has occurred on startup. Settings were unable to save.  It is recommend that you restart Torchlight.
Attempted to save settings at:
C:\users\hopup\My Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\

Windows Error: Invalid Argument
This is the error I receive when I attempt to load TL2 from Steam. Steam works fine under wine 1.5.25

Has anyone else seen this error? Any help really appreciated.

DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=14
DISTRIB_CODENAME=nadia
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 14 Nadia"
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="12.10, Quantal Quetzal"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu quantal (12.10)"
VERSION_ID="12.10"
hopup

Re: Torchlight 2 Error on Start up

Post by hopup »

Update. I have the game able to start and run now. I get sound and the mouse, but the screen is completely gray. Is this a directX issue?
mortigar

Post by mortigar »

Hello could you please, say how you got the game going. I have exactly the same problem and pretty stumped.
hopup

Post by hopup »

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... ngId=74067

scroll down there to find that heather had the same problem and solved it by simply installing the ati drivers...however they're the ones I currently have installed. I'm still stumped at the moment. Any help would be appreciated.
mortigar

Post by mortigar »

Hello again, I got it going, ultimately it may just be that wine 1.5.25 breaks game compatibility (what it was tested on the first time). Dropped back too wine 1.5.10 and used mfc42, let the game install its own direct x and runtime components through steam. Did normal dll over rides, d3dx9_36, drwite disabled, and mfc42 native. Hope that helps!
JoBo

Post by JoBo »

hopup wrote:

An error has occurred on startup. Settings were unable to save.  It is recommend that you restart Torchlight.
Attempted to save settings at:
C:\users\hopup\My Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\

Windows Error: Invalid Argument
This is the error I receive when I attempt to load TL2 from Steam. Steam works fine under wine 1.5.25

Has anyone else seen this error? Any help really appreciated.
Hi.

I have the same problem with the error message.
I don't get a grey screen or anything, just the error window.
Can you tell me how you solved this?

Thank You
Doommunky

Post by Doommunky »

I'm having the exact same error. Any help would be appreciated.

I have been able to determine that the 'My Documents' folder in Wine is installed straight to the Desktop (in the virtual Windows environment) so the path the game is looking for is incorrect. I just don't know how to change it.

Nor do I know how to roll back to older versions of Wine. Please, help us noobs!
dumbfif

Post by dumbfif »

I had the same error and this is how I fixed it. I run Torchlight 2 from Steam.
My problem came from corrupted save directories restored by Steam synchro. I don't know how they get corrupted.

1. Under ~/My Games/Runic Games/Torchlight 2/save, remove all directories with weird names (in my case, contained strange characters at the end and do not contain any file)
One clean directory the name of which contains only digits remained for me (I guess I have been lucky on this)
2. From Steam, disable synchro for Torchlight 2
3. Launch the game and wait a few minutes. No new weired dirs appeared in my case after I left the game.
4. Re-enable sync from Steam and launch the game again.

A check under ~/My Games/Runic Games/Torchlight 2/save did not show any strange dir.

HTH
jhnns

Post by jhnns »

I have the same problem. In ~/My Games/Runic Games/Torchlight 2/save I see the strange characters in the names of subdirectories. They both start with a number that seems to be the first nine characters of my steam id:
765611980繼3地纁3繼纁
765611980纋纍ﻴ纏3췰纋3纍嶈२㓬șﻴ纏33纋3

I would guess that scrambled characters are somehow made up of the last eight digits of my id and maybe the files contained in the directory. That could mean that T2 tries to create the directory based on my id and then a file in that directory which it cannot write to - and then it reports the error.

Creating the directory manually did not work. I tried looking for similar errors where directories and filenames get invalid characters. Any ideas?
jhnns

Post by jhnns »

update: I installed Steam using PlayOnLinux on Mint 15 and changing the default version of wine from 1.5.25 to 1.7.5 seems to have solved the problem