[Ubuntu, Wine 1.4.1] Jerky graphics on video games

Questions about Wine on Linux
Rayman54
Level 1
Level 1

[Ubuntu, Wine 1.4.1] Jerky graphics on video games

Post by Rayman54 »

Hello everybody,
I've got a problem with graphics on videogames. Sometimes, graphics looks like "lagging" (I know Lag is for low internet connection but I don't know how to describe, sorry). Graphics are smooth for 1 second, then freezing for 1 second then going back to smooth for 1 second, again and again... I know there is an similar problem when we activate "Glow" effect on World Of Warcraft, or "Car reflections" on Trackmania Nations Forever or a Need For Speed game. But I've got this problem everytime in rFactor, even in "Performance (DX7) setting" and every graphics options to Low or Non activated. Because of this problem, some of my games are completly unplayable, rFactor and Need For Speed Underground (no problem in menu, unplayable in race) for example. I use Wine 1.4.1 because all newer versions give me ultra low framerates on videogames (15FPS on Ragnarök Online... Don't try to think about other games...). I hope somebody will found a solution to this problem, thanks everybody ! Have a nice day ! (sorry if any mistakes, I'm french)

And this is my computer specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon IIx2 250 @ 3Ghz (No O/C)
GPU: Integrated nVidia chipset GeForce 7025/nForce 630a 256Mo with proprietary driver version 304-update
RAM: 4Go DDR3 1066Mhz
core
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [Ubuntu, Wine 1.4.1] Jerky graphics on video games

Post by core »

You should update Wine to 1.6 or 1.7.3.
Rayman54
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rayman54 »

Hi, I already tried to upload Wine but I had something like 2-3 FPS in 90% of my games, only RO runned at 15 FPS, I don't know why... But I will try this now and I will edit this post with the result. Thanks !

[Edit 1] I've updated Wine to 1.6, the sound is crackling in RO, it didn't with Wine 1.4, and the game is running something like 5 FPS... Trackmania Nations Forever have same problem as rFactor now, with the same options as it had with Wine 1.4.1... It seems that Wine 1.6 is not a good version for me. I update to 1.7.3 and I come back.
Rayman54
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rayman54 »

Hello, sorry for double post but I could not edit my last post.
So I've tried to use Wine 1.7 and I got the same problems as Wine 1.6. Only Wine 1.4.1 works fine on my computer. Maybe it's a videocard or nVidia driver related problem. My nVidia driver is really glitchy, it doesn't save my configuration at startup and if I change user, I can't change any option until I restart X server. I've already tried to uninstall and reinstall multiple version of nVidia driver and only 304-update run "good" for me. I think a friend has thesame problem on ATI Radeon HD 6570... Maybe it's an option on Compiz Config, or in videocard settings... Anyway, thank you, you took your time to help me. If anybody had the same problem, please help me :).
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

Rayman54 sorry to be the bringer of very bad news. http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us The boxes to select here top to bottom "nforce" "nforce 6" "GeForce 7025/nForce 630a". Offically there is proprietary driver Nvidia Linux driver for that hardware. Only offical drivers for Windows. These are 190 series drivers.

Do check you 304 nvidia the current version is 304.108. Key parts of the proprietary nvidia will be broken like the power managent so graphics will stall under load because 304 is the wrong primarny version for your GPU.

The exact nvidia driver you need is version from the 190 series. http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_190.53 I don't know if 190.53 still installs on modern X11 Nvidia has not been maintaining this series. 173.14.38 might be better than 304.108 but its still could be bad.

Compiz/Desktop effects is totally not recommend on 173 or 190 series drivers.

There is only so much you can do on Linux incompadible hardware.
--My nVidia driver is really glitchy--
Basically its a mirical that it even renders anything because 304 series is completely the wrong driver. Yes it sad when the correct driver is unsupported.
Simon of Aragon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Simon of Aragon »

Rayman54 wrote:Hello, sorry for double post but I could not edit my last post.
So I've tried to use Wine 1.7 and I got the same problems as Wine 1.6. Only Wine 1.4.1 works fine on my computer. Maybe it's a videocard or nVidia driver related problem. My nVidia driver is really glitchy, it doesn't save my configuration at startup and if I change user, I can't change any option until I restart X server. I've already tried to uninstall and reinstall multiple version of nVidia driver and only 304-update run "good" for me. I think a friend has thesame problem on ATI Radeon HD 6570... Maybe it's an option on Compiz Config, or in videocard settings... Anyway, thank you, you took your time to help me. If anybody had the same problem, please help me :).
My system runs WINE 1.4 by default. However I have several versions of WINE on my PC, because I have found that some versions work better with different software. I also went through the sound issues, graphics issues, etc.. I am currently running a Kubuntu 12.04 machine with an ATI Radeon HD 5450. I also use winetricks a lot, which is not supported here.

Recently I setup Rift on my PC which is similar to World of Warcraft. Through trial and error I found it best ran under WINE 1.5.31 although it may vary due to machine hardware. Basically I have my WINE 1.5.31 installed in my $HOME directory as a hidden folder called .wine-1.5.31 and I created a wine prefix called .wine-rift using winetricks and installed all the support files required.

This setup allows me to install the actual game anyplace I want. I have a seperate HD just for my games. I then created this bash script to call up the proper version of WINE and the game.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
export WINEPREFIX="/home/simon/.wine-rift"
export WINESERVER="/home/simon/.wine-1.5.31/bin/wineserver"
export WINELOADER="/home/simon/.wine-1.5.31/bin/wine"
export WINEDEBUG="-all"
export WINEDLLPATH="/home/simon/.wine-1.5.31/lib/wine"
cd "/media/drive_d/RIFT"
$WINELOADER 'riftpatchlive.exe'
I don't know how much experience you have, so I apologize if I explain too much. No matter which version of WINE you end up using, the real magic is done in winetricks. Too much to discuss about this on this forum. lol But if you need more information on the usage of winetricks --> http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks Many graphics issues are cleared up by experimentation with the settings.

I would also recommend purging Pulse Audio (if you are using it) and going straight ALSA. After I purged Pulse Audio the sound issues cleared right up. I don't miss PA but it is always there in the distros if you really want it back. As for GPU drivers I just fly with what is recommended by the Additional Drivers program.
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

Simon of Aragon what we are mostly against is the over use of winetricks. Installing too many override parts can cause problems that would otherwise not happen. Bare min to work correct usage of winetricks is acceptable.

Simon of Aragon your video card is still a supported one. Rayman54 direct problem is that his is not a supported one by Nvidia.

--As for GPU drivers I just fly with what is recommended by the Additional Drivers program.--

GeForce 7025/nForce 630a is a ugly case where none of the normal Additional drivers in fact suit it. Yes his system is Linux incompadible hardware. The need driver is series 190.xx drivers. Nvidia ended support of a few years ago on Linux.

190.xx series and 175.xx series drivers from Nvidia remove desktop effects like compiz or the system will not be stable.

export WINEDEBUG="-all" by default also goes against good operating policy of wine. Yes WINEDEBUG=-all is good once application is running to gain some performance. Always be clear with people that this is a performance boost option that has to be removed if something goes wrong so you can see wine debuging.
Simon of Aragon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Simon of Aragon »

Look I am tired, I just got off a long shift. So I know better to respond to oiaohm response above other than this;

I told Rayman54 how I set my system up, what works for me, I hope it works for others here as well. I know that the wiki states "Although using winetricks may be very useful for getting some programs working in Wine, doing so may limit your ability to get support though WineHQ. In particular, reporting bugs may not be possible if you've replaced parts of Wine with it." I was simply stating that I am not going to rewrite up the winetricks bible here or suggest full installation of Direct X 9.0 etc...

I'm off for bed.

Je suis désolé Rayman54 bonne chance!
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

Simon of Aragon its one line due to being a "ATI Radeon HD 5450" user you would not have known
Rayman54
"Graphics are smooth for 1 second, then freezing for 1 second then going back to smooth for 1 second, again and again."
This is in fact behavour of Nvidia cards with wrong video card driver. I have used Nvidia for a long time. Sorry for being so blunt. Compiz particular versions with particular desktop effects can generate a simler looking effect on ATI cards except the timing is random not nice constant patern under load.

Simon of Aragon basically I work around the same kind of systems has Rayman54. Long term Nvidia users on Linux get to know the 1 second frease/1 second fine as ok Opps wrong driver loaded.

Simon of Aragon that section of the wiki has been reworded since the last time I was there. There is a key line you missed.

http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks?actio ... s_and_bugs
--Additionally if you found it necessary to use winetricks for an application please mention it when submitting to the AppDB, mailing lists, and other Wine resources.--

So reporting a issue in this forum that is the mailing list while using winetricks is fine. Taking out a real bug in the bugzilla not going to work. Talking to developers in non restricted countries can happen on the mailing lists.

Basically your "not supported here" is incorrect. Winetricks is not supported in bugzilla. Winetricks is supported in appdb and forums and Mailing list and wiki basically everywhere bar the bugzilla.

Simon of Aragon so correct answer is support is limited by using winetricks. Not what you said.

We do want people coming in here starting they did use winetricks or on the appdb saying the did use winetricks. We are happy to hear it. Ok we might tell you to start you prefix clean and carefully reapply them but hey its the only way we have to isolate bugs.

Simon of Aragon if there is a link following statement with See before it in the wine wiki to take it in future its normally important reading. Would have avoided the confusion you had.

Simon of Aragon so if you do have problems with programs where you have winetricks don't fear posting here about it just remember to have a list of what you did add and be tollerent to us telling you to attempt other mixes.

Anyone fell like rewording the winetricks page again to attempt to avoid confusion again. Apartently we have not got that page good enough yet.

Sorry for bitting at you Simon of Aragon but you were wrong on what you were saying. Thanks for showing me where the confusion was coming from.
Rayman54
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rayman54 »

Hello, sorry for not responding, too many work at school...

Thanks you for taking your time for me, I don't have a lot experience on Linux, I use it since 6 months I think. If I understood everythings right, this problem comes from my video card because it's not supported by Ubuntu ? And I should downgrade my drivers from 304-update to 170 or 190 in the Additionnal Hardware Driver window ?. I've read somewhere that Compiz is a piece of s*** with video cards, causing this kind of problems. Should I use "Ubuntu 2D" interface instead of "Ubuntu", or replacing it with another interface ? Thanks everybody for helping me :)
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

Compiz is not compadible with particular video card drivers. 170 and 190 series are not compadible with Compiz. Big problem is 190 is no longer maintained. So can be impossible to install on some systems.

There is also a big problem there is a big risk 170 and 190 will not work with your distrobution at all.
Rayman54
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rayman54 »

Hello,

So my GeForce 7025/nForce 630a is a 170 or a 190 video card ? So, if Compiz is not compatible with theses series, I have to install an another windows system ? Damn, I knew nVidia wasn't Linux friendly, but they could make something for this...
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

Rayman54 to be exact GeForce 7025/nForce 630a is a 190.xx GPU driver. Problem is Nvidia no longer maintains a GPU 190.xx driver for Linux. Heck they have not release update to the 190.xx driver for Windows for years. Last update to both was 2009. There is going to be no Windows 8 support for that hardware either.

Luckly on Linux there are tones of Desktop envorments that don't use compiz or desktop effects.

173.14.xx series is the closest that is maintained but I cannot promise it will work correctly either since just like the 304 is the wrong driver for the GPU.

Rayman54 you have to be thankful for small mercies. Windows 8 users network drivers and other bits are missing so a board like that has horible problems. Linux you have every bar the GPU working properly. So if this is a desktop machine you can make it functional by disabling the onboard gpu and using a supported video card with Linux. Where with Windows 8 you are totally screwed.

Rayman54 yes Nvidia can be bad but its insanely worse if you are a Windows user who paid like the 40 dollars for the Windows 8 upgrade. 50-100 dollar new card will be better performing than the GeForce 7025 ever was.

Rayman54 sometimes the correct thing is cut your loses. With a new card you will be able to use compiz and what ever windows manager.

I normally don't like recommending people go out in buy things. But this is just one of those cases where there is no other option or suffer horible pain.
Rayman54
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rayman54 »

Hello,

I know my integrated GPU is a s***, but the problem is I'm still at school, so I can't work to buy a new videocard. If I could, I would make it but I can't. So I'm stuck with that GPU, and I will not be able to play some games. Thats not a big problem, I was just asking if there were a solution to this. So thanks to everybody who posted here. I think I can put this thread as "Solved" now.

Bye all, have a nice day :)