Age of Empires 2 multiplayer

Questions about Wine on Linux
kevinkore3
Level 1
Level 1

Age of Empires 2 multiplayer

Post by kevinkore3 »

Hello.
I am trying to run Age of Empires 2 multiplayer with the Voobly gaming client on Ubuntu. I know there is a page on winehq for Voobly, but the instructions don't work/instructions are outdated.
Age of Empires 2 starts fine by itself, and I can play without difficulty single player.
Voobly started fine, but once the game was launch it said Age of Empiers 2 had an error initializing. After that, Voobly immediately closed after the log in screen. Now Voobly won't even start (I don't know why).
Can anyone help?
There is a message about some 3G/1G kernel split when I type in winecfg, and I googled it, but nothing useful comes up.
I have WINE 1.4 and Ubuntu installed with Crouton on an Acer Chromebook.
Thanks.
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Age of Empires 2 multiplayer

Post by oiaohm »

kevinkore3 Wine 1.4 is no longer offically supproted except for applications where nothing newer works. There is no report in the appdb of 1.4 working for it.

Please update to 1.7.x and try again. If people don't submit test result when things break it is a big problem chasing it down.

Age of Empiers 2 you did not miss this need directplay installed by winetricks to work over network?

--There is a message about some 3G/1G kernel split-- most cases this is just a minor complainted about not being able todo memory perfectly.

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=29384 Yes kevinkore3 its broken been broken for a long time. If 1.7.x does not work its build a custom version of wine.
kevinkore3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kevinkore3 »

I thought the newest version of WINE was 1.5 though.
Actually, every program stopped working after I ran SETUPREG.exe which came in the Age of Empires 2 folder.
I thought WINE 1.4 was more stable...
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The current stable release is 1.6; the current development release is 1.7.4. 1.4 is no longer supported.
Actually, every program stopped working after I ran SETUPREG.exe which came in the Age of Empires 2 folder.
Try reinstalling to a clean wineprefix.
kevinkore3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kevinkore3 »

I reinstalled ubuntu and tried Wine 1.6 instead of Wine 1.4
Voobly works a lot better with Wine 1.6, but the problem is Age of Empires 2 now crashes whenever I load it, and I've tried many times, but the rating is Platinum for some reason.
It starts up, the screen turns black, then there is an error message and the screen resolution is distorted.
Can anyone help me try installing Wine 1.5?
I've tried reverting back to Wine 1.4, and Age of Empires 2 does work, but Voobly doesn't.
kevinkore3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kevinkore3 »

By the way, it is some message about a divide by 0 error.