Wine and Radeon Mesa drivers

Questions about Wine on Linux
heliumbanana

Wine and Radeon Mesa drivers

Post by heliumbanana »

Does anyone have much experience running Wine on the open source mesa/gallium3d radeon drivers? specifically I'm trying to run some games on radeonsi, and while some work fine, others simply crash -- whereas they work to varying degrees on the open source drivers. Specifically, I can get League of Legends to run flawlessly, yet Borderlands2 constantly crashes.

Is there an OpenGL version requirement for Wine? Or does it vary from game to game? As I've been testing latest git versions of the radeon drivers I've noticed that a number of native games won't work because of radeonsi only providing OpenGL 3.0. Does this effect wine as well?

Thanks!
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Wine and Radeon Mesa drivers

Post by oiaohm »

heliumbanana almost exactly on the money.

Is there an OpenGL version requirement for Wine?
This is a answer is horible but correct. No there is not a requirement for a particular version of opengl in wine. Its just like there is no requirement to build X11 support. Do you care if you have 3d graphics then you require Opengl of suitable version with the extentions of opengl required for the application you are attempting to run.
Or does it vary from game to game?
Yes it varies game to game. To be correct application to application.

Even if the radeon open source was Opengl 4.2 a program in wine could still have trouble because that does not mandate every extention or extention wine chooses to use is broken. The version number is not as import as the extentions to perform the requried tasks.

Some times some programs can be made work by in fact disable extentions of opengl and force wine to take different path to do applications requests. http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys DisabledExtensions

Borderlands2 constantly crashes might be using an opengl extention in the open source drivers that is broken.