Voobly on Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
itzjustinn

Voobly on Wine

Post by itzjustinn »

Hello. my name is justin and i represent voobly.com. we are a small gaming community consisting of 5k-10k players that play a variety of games, mostly age of empires online.

I am currently writing support articles for voobly/wine @ our website as we have users needing this type of support.
I found some information here: http://wine.1045685.n5.nabble.com/Bug-2 ... 33i20.html
but it seems to be outdated and the hack is no longer working.
i am hoping i might find some help to get voobly working on linux and to finish the support article on the subject.

first i am having an issue getting wine patched with the hack while using wine 1.6
i am using the source and the patch before compiling but am getting an error "hunk failed a 2010"
i am not sure if you would be able to help out with the install or a new hack for voobly to work.

i would also like to get some clarification on the following::

It looks like Voobly checks the old protection returned by VirtualProtect
and refuses to run if the protection is PAGE_EXECUTE_WRITECOPY instead of
PAGE_EXECUTE_READWRITE. This behaviour corresponds to a todo_wine test in
kernel32/tests/loader.c and kernel32/tests/virtual.c where Windows changes
the WRITECOPY to READWRITE protection when it detects a page write.

i have forwarded the info to our dev's but any additional info you could provide would help out.
dimesio

Re: Voobly on Wine

Post by dimesio »

I assume the patch you are trying to apply is the one in http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=29384. That was created for a much older version of Wine, so it's not surprising it doesn't apply to current Wine. I'm not a developer, so I can't help with updating it (or with explaining the comment you quoted from the bug report). My suggestion is that you leave a comment in the bug report noting that it can't be applied to current Wine. Mention that you are in contact with the Voobly developers.
itzjustinn

Post by itzjustinn »

hello.

thanks for the response.

where should i post this?

i tried posting in bugzilla but they removed it and directed me here.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

RRMX

Post by RRMX »

Hello,

Any news on that issue? I have a different one I think. I do not observe the behaviour described in bug #29384, that is
voobly only show the message of "Game was not rated Reason: ratings
were turned off" or "Game was not rated Reason: game was not finished"
In my case Voobly does attempt to launch the game, through the file "AGE2_X1.ICD" which then triggers the debugger

Code: Select all

Unhandled exception: illegal instruction in 32-bit code (0x00616ae3).
[...]
0000001e (D) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\age2_x1\AGE2_X1.ICD
	00000016    0 <==
System information:
    Wine build: wine-1.7.3
    Platform: i386
    Host system: Linux
    Host version: 3.10-3-amd64
I stripped the huge backtrace which I believe is irrelevant. I applied the hack provided in http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=29384 with no difference in result. I believe this patch was designed to fix a different issue.

I am running Debian Unstable, kernel 3.10 (as you can see above), architecture amd64. I compiled wine in a chroot but had the exact same issue with the version provided in the Debian repositories so I believe my compilation environment is not at fault.

I suspected the fault could come from:
  • Video drivers: I tried with both ATI free and proprietary drivers, with the exact same outcome
  • 64 bit environment: tried on a 32 bits and 64 bits distribution on the same machine, with the same outcome
  • the Voobly software: I have no access to the source code and cannot contact the developers directly
  • Wine: the reason I am posting here
Note that I am able to launch the game standalone executable file "age2_x1.exe" successfully, the issue arises when Voobly attempts to launch the game using "age2_x1.icd" (not sure why they don't run age2_x1.exe).

I will keep trying different things and report in this thread if anything worth noting happens.