Newbie trying to run Incredible Charts on my Mac

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Smor

Newbie trying to run Incredible Charts on my Mac

Post by Smor »

Hi,

I'm not a programmer so I can't understand a lot of what's being said here. I'm interested in running a PC based program (Incredible Charts) on my Mac. I've been given suggestions like VMWare Fusion and Virtual PC but both require a PC and/or purchasing a MS product. Since I don't have a PC I was told about Wine directly from the founder of Incredible Charts. I spent a bit of time on the site but I still am unsure what to download and how to use this wonderful service.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you,
Sharon
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Newbie trying to run Incredible Charts on my Mac

Post by doh123 »

Wine on OS X is build yourself and run command line... it can be confusing.
You can use Macports (which is all command line) to do all the building and installing for you... but you still need to know command line.

There are 3rd party programs that use Wine as well... (these are not supported here)
Wineskin is not newbie friendly, but is used to wrap up a Windows program so it looks and works like a Mac app. The creator of Incredible Charts could use this to make a Mac version and make it available for download without having to re-code...

Probably the best bet for you if all this is confusing though is using Crossover. Crossover uses Wine and is made much more user friendly. Its not free though... but you can try it out for free.

Getting any program working with Wine or any program that uses Wine can be super easy, to extremely difficult... its a case by case basis.

Using a virtual machine like VMWare or Parallels run a full version of Windows, and is usually simpler to get software working... but usually doesn't perform as well, as its having to emulate an entire computer and run a full OS on it.