Good christ, why is wine 32bit on 64bit debian so difficult

Questions about Wine on Linux
szupek
Level 1
Level 1

Good christ, why is wine 32bit on 64bit debian so difficult

Post by szupek »

Sorry, I am just getting annoyed at how many developers forget the "KISS" mentality (keep it simple, stupid).

I am on Debian Wheezy from a netinst last night ( 3.2.0-4-amd64 ). because I did it last night, it can't really be that screwed up from hacks and blah blah blah.

Anyways, the Debian nvidia packages are wayyy to confusing. You have Mesa,nvidia-glx, Gallium, Vesa. Way to complicated. I am running 310.44 from NVIDIA's site. I want 3D performance so the mesa driver does not interest me. In fact, with even Debian.org's page being so confusing, I don't want anything other than the NVIDIA answer (their official driver).

anyways this is the message I am getting now when trying to compile.

Code: Select all

configure: error: X 32-bit development files not found. Wine will be built
without X support, which probably isn't what you want. You will need
to install 32-bit development packages of Xlib/Xfree86 at the very least.
Use the --without-x option if you really want this.

However, if I run setarch i386 ./configure it compiles fine but then MAKE fails. Could someone please tell me what is the actual recommended, without changing a single line of code, way for me to run the NVIDIA OPENGL32 bit drivers that are installed? I would assume since it's too much to ask Debian developers and Ubuntu developers to just create a symlink to the default driver install location that I am supposed to create a symlink somewhere so I can actually compile wine.

I have looked at the "Compiling 32-bit wine on 64-bit system" page but, of course, the info on Debian is outdated (yay multiarch, sarcasm). I have searched the 'net for WEEKS trying to get a straight answer, but only found year old threads with hacks, outdated info and stuff that doesn't pertain to today. I eventually blew away the system and it still doesn't work.

SO, what is the easiest, most NON-COMPLICATED way to get Debian 64bit and Wine 32bit to see the darn OpenGL 32bit libraries that were installed?

:/home/scott/.wine/wine-1.5.18# locate libGL.so
/usr/lib/libGL.so
/usr/lib/libGL.so.1
/usr/lib/libGL.so.310.44
/usr/lib32/libGL.so
/usr/lib32/libGL.so.1
/usr/lib32/libGL.so.310.44
Thank you for your time. I apologize for the tone, but 32,000+ Linux distro's/branches you would think "simple" would have to come into play at some point in developers minds. (as a developer I know it does for me)
dimesio

Re: Good christ, why is wine 32bit on 64bit debian so diffic

Post by dimesio »

Take a look at this: http://verahill.blogspot.com/2013/04/37 ... hroot.html

I don't use Debian, and have no idea if that method works, but the article is very recent and the author is responding to comments, so it looks promising.
szupek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by szupek »

Helps if I actually read the error message as it had nothing do with OPENGL. Though, the 32bit OPENGL files and wine don't talk nice together.

I ended up installing

apt-get install libx11-dev:i386 
to get rid of the error message above, which then failed on the freetype error message as seen below
configure: error: FreeType 32-bit development files not found. Fonts will not be built.
Turns out this message has pretty much been around for over 6 months because of the multiarch problem. Debian developers + wine developers can't seem to get rid of ia32-dev junk, which is part of this problem. So, as far as I can tell, anyone who runs across this problem wine's answer seems to be "you are screwed, should've installed 32 bit version, because 1999 is as far as we go".

Obviously that's not the real answer but agian, searching for hours on the internet pretty much lead to that answer, in laimen's terms. If anyone knows how anyone can actually compile, from source on Debian 64bit, using WINE 32bit (setarch i386 won't work) on a bone stock debian wheezy install with NVIDIA supplied drivers, I'd love to know it, because that answer simply doesn't exist.

It has to be possible though because PlayOnLinux does it, their little quazi sandbox, without a hitch. Though I can't get Skyrim or Tomb Raider to even run without crashing on that one.
rabidjoe

Post by rabidjoe »

If you wish to avoid alot multiarch induced headaches, install VMWare or VirtualBox and install a 32 bit distro just for compiling 32 bit apps. I've not looked back...
Zeomak

Post by Zeomak »

rabidjoe wrote:If you wish to avoid alot multiarch induced headaches, install VMWare or VirtualBox and install a 32 bit distro just for compiling 32 bit apps. I've not looked back...
And the question for me there is, does this work?
Or better how exactly am I to do that in a VM? make and make install or try to repack it into a .deb pack? But would a 64 bit system not refuse to take such a package? I had that earlier when I tried to follow a tut that needed me to download and install a i386 .deb file. Refused to install due to the different structure....
holland

Post by holland »

apt-get install libfreetype6-dev:i386 fixed it for me.