AppDB App for Wine?

Questions about Wine on Linux
Raylight
Level 2
Level 2

AppDB App for Wine?

Post by Raylight »

Ok It just came to mind that there should be a app for wine that keeps track of the AppDB and its games and this is my Idea and what it could do...

When wine is running you will be asked whether or not to send info as in- game logs and debug info and system info without compromising privacy that is. and while this app runs it would do a search in AppDB on what game you're using and what settings are recommended for it as well as patches for it and so on. The info that is being sent while ingame can be monitored by the game maintainer in Appdb to check for bugs or regressions.

what do yall think and how would I go about asking for an enhancement like this?

EXTRA INFO

Requirements To Work
-AppDB Game Needs A Maintainer
-AppDB Games Need Constant Watch To Keep Track Of Regressions & Bugs

Pros & Cons
Pro- Games Will Automatically Apply Fixes When Needed
Pro- Bugs Could Automatically Be Sent To Bugzilla With Info Already In Report
Pro- Less Hassle For Devs & Users

Con- More Dedicated Devs Needed To Keep DB In Order
Con- A New Project That Will Take Time
Con- WineHQ Will Go Through Changes In Order To Work With Program
dimesio

Re: AppDB App for Wine?

Post by dimesio »

how would I go about asking for an enhancement like this?
Apparently you already figured out the answer to that one. http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=34282
Raylight
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Raylight »

Im going on a limb and saying that was the right way?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

It's the right way to request an enhancement.
Raylight
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Raylight »

ok ^^ btw what do you think of this?
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

The obvious disadvantage would be that such an app would require at least two or three people working fulltime on it, just to keep it basically running. There are only about two dozens of fulltime wine devs, and maybe another few dozens of volunteers, it's absolutely unrealistic to expect them to monitor a few thousand appdb entries on a daily basis. And there is already Crossover's crossties system or playonlinux for automatic per-app/game configuration, it wouldn't make much sense to build another config database. If you think of collecting crash reports like e.g. Mozilla does, that might be useful, but wine simply doesn't have the manpower to evaluate 10000's of reports a day. A certain amount of issues is related to e.g. missing 32bit libraries, missing 32bit OpenGl, ati driver quirks, deficiencies in drivers like with older intel graphics, etc. You'd need a tool to exactly detect the linux environment, libraries, hardware etc. Might be feasible, but atm not wine's aim.

So the idea might not be bad, a company like google could easily do it, but not wine.
Raylight
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Raylight »

but with some work I do think the error monitoring could be automatic by the system if such a technology exists. until then I do think some basics of an app like that could be useful plus play on linux dosnt have very many configs its missing allot so why not make something similar that's straight from the source. *You'd need a tool to exactly detect the linux environment, libraries, hardware etc* thats what the data collector would be for. I think its possible and in time it could work its way to the potential that I think you see Im getting at.