cannot find the ncurses library

Questions about Wine on Linux
Dadits

cannot find the ncurses library

Post by Dadits »

Hello
I installed the new system:
3.9.11-1-MANJARO x64
Trying to launch the program which is on the Windows 7 partition. I installed WINE, Mono. When I try to run that program I get a message:

Code: Select all

Wine can not find the ncurses library (libncursesw.so.5).
err: module: load_builtin_dll failed to load. so lib for builtin L "msxml3.dll": libxml2.so.2: can not open shared object file: No such file or directory
err: ole: COMPOBJ_DllList_Add could not load in-process dll L "C: \ \ windows \ \ system32 \ \ msxml3.dll"
err: ole: CoGetClassObject no class object {079aa557-4a18-424a-8eee-e39f0a8d41b9} could be created for context 0x1
err: module: load_builtin_dll failed to load. so lib for builtin L "winemp3.acm": libmpg123.so.0: can not open shared object file: No such file or directory
The entry point method could not be loaded
I'm not very familiar with Linux, but I believe that there will be an easy solution to my problem
dimesio

Re: cannot find the ncurses library

Post by dimesio »

Dadits

Post by Dadits »

Unfortunately, this program is not installed. This is Demonbuddy software to the game Diablo 3:
DB 1.0.1445.315
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Then I guess you will have to install Diablo 3 in Wine, too. Running from a Windows partition is not supported.

As for the ncurses error message, it's pretty clear: you need to install libncursesw. The same with libmpg123 and libxml2. Note you need the 32 bit versions of these libraries. If you don't know what packages to install, ask your distro.
brebs

Post by brebs »

Dadits wrote:Wine can not find the ncurses library (libncursesw.so.5)
When compiling wine (as done in wine-rt):

sed -e 's|libncurses|libncursesw|g' -e 's|lncurses|lncursesw|g' -i configure
It's probably a bug in wine, that such a workaround is needed. Practically everything else detects Arch's ncurses package OK.
syberraith

Post by syberraith »

You need to install libcurses5:i386 and to do that you need multiarch and the i386 architecture already installed.
grendal74
Level 2
Level 2

Post by grendal74 »

Yesterday I installed arch 64 bit in order to get to the latest wine version, to find out that the issue exists.

Wine can not find the ncurses library (libncursesw.so.5)
Neither 64 bit or 32 bit version of a windows app worked. So I am going to install arch 32 bit and try again.
Is it possible to patch wine and resolve this problem?
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

It looks like your problem is not with Wine, so "patching" it will not help. Normally, when you install Wine as a package for your distribution, all dependencies are installed automatically. Clearly, in your case they did not. Therefore, it is better to look for answers in Arch Linux forum: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=195878 . It seems in Arch many Wine dependencies are considered "optional", and you need to install them manually.
grendal74
Level 2
Level 2

Post by grendal74 »

I don't understand why these Wine dependencies are considered "optional", since witout them, 64 bit and 32 bit windows apps will refuse to load/work. Is there any other usage for wine? :twisted:
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

I looked at the dependency list and at least some dependencies marked as optional are indeed optional. For example, Wine can work without pulse, samba, etc.

If you have found out that Wine does not work without some specific dependencies currently marked as "optional", I suggest to report this to the package maintainer: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/mult ... 6_64/wine/ - "Package Actions" - "Add New Bug".
grendal74
Level 2
Level 2

Post by grendal74 »

L. Rahyen wrote:I looked at the dependency list and at least some dependencies marked as optional are indeed optional. For example, Wine can work without pulse, samba, etc.

If you have found out that Wine does not work without some specific dependencies currently marked as "optional", I suggest to report this to the package maintainer: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/mult ... 6_64/wine/ - "Package Actions" - "Add New Bug".
Good luck with that. These guys are too strong-minded :roll: