Unable to Install Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
trow

Unable to Install Wine

Post by trow »

Last night I unlocked my Chromebook using a croot to allow it to run in Linux and Chrome OS simultaneously. One of the first things that I tried to do is to install wine, so I downloaded Wine 1.6 and attempted to open it using the packaging installer, when I try to open it in the installer it gives me an error saying that it is not a Debian package and that "the Mime type of this file is application/x-tar can not be installed on this system". When I downloaded the Debian wine it says that it is the wrong type of architecture. I am running Linux Kernel 3.4.0 on this computer. Thanks for the help!
dimesio

Re: Unable to Install Wine

Post by dimesio »

The first problem sounds like you downloaded the source code. That's for building Wine yourself. The error message about the architecture sounds like you tried to install a 64 bit package on a 32 bit system, or vice versa. Whichever you tried, download the other one.
trow

Post by trow »

I'm sorry but I'm pretty new at this version of Linux, I've only really used Ubuntu before, where can I find a 32 bit Debian Wine download, I've Googled it but nothing came up. I'm guessing that it is the i386 package and it is saying the same thing.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Packaging is done by the distros, and Debian has not had an active maintainer for some time. The only Debian packages I know of are the ones linked to from our Downloads page, and those are very outdated. So you will probably have to build Wine yourself to get a current version. http://wiki.winehq.org/Recommended_Packages

As for the error messages from your package manager, ask for help on the Debian forum. Problems installing packages are most often due to user inexperience, and learning how to use your package manager is not a Wine issue.