Some questions about Wine64 in 1.6

Questions about Wine on Linux
WEP11

Some questions about Wine64 in 1.6

Post by WEP11 »

I would like to switch to Ubuntu but the only game holding me back (Arma 2) has a record of poor performance with wine. Recently there has been the 1.6 release (I don't think it has been retested yet) and I am ready to see if it works on the new release. But the main reason I want to switch to Ubuntu is for the 64bit OS.

Does the Wine 1.6 release utilize 64bit processing on a 64 bit Ubuntu box? Or do I have to install Wine64 to get the benefits? Also, if I do need to install Wine 64, I have read elsewhere (Don't have the link), that I need to get the source and do some extra steps not listed in the wiki (Mainly setting up a folder structure to make it work). Do I still need to do this to install Wine64 (Most info I found was a little dated)?

Thanks!
dimesio

Re: Some questions about Wine64 in 1.6

Post by dimesio »

64 bit Wine has been around since 1.2. It should run 64 bit Windows apps, but since there aren't many 64 bit Windows apps, it hasn't been tested much. I do remember a user testing a bunch of 64 bit chess programs in Wine and reporting they worked well.

If the game you want to run isn't 64 bit, it won't benefit from having 64 bit Wine, and may not even work in a 64 bit wineprefix.

As for installing 64 bit Wine, all the major distros, including Ubuntu, now package it.