Old 16bit windows game in Linux!!!!

Questions about Wine on Linux
sabotage
Level 1
Level 1

Old 16bit windows game in Linux!!!!

Post by sabotage »

I have Ubuntu 8.04 and I am trying to run and old Windows 95/3.1 MPOG game called Legends Of Kesmai. The Game needs to be in the root directory i.e. C:\legends and also needs to be run in 16 bit color. I have managed to change my color to 16 bit via editing my xorg.conf and changing the 24's to 16's. I have managed to get this far...

Last edited by sabotage on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffz
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Old 16bit windows game in Linux!!!!

Post by jeffz »

sabotage wrote:I have Ubuntu 8.04 and I am trying to run and old Windows 95/3.1 MPOG game called Legends Of Kesmai. The Game needs to be in the root directory i.e. C:\legends and also needs to be run in 16 bit color. I have managed to change my color to 16 bit via editing my xorg.conf and changing the 24's to 16's. However when I try to execute the lokclient.exe file, it just closes itself without any errors. The whole game/client is only 11 mgbts, so I will post link below for download if anyone would like to try for themselves to help me... Thanx to anyone who has any input.....

http://www.lokfreedom.com/legends/modul ... load&cid=1

We are Sorry, but this section of our site is for Registered Users Only.
sabotage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sabotage »

updated link to LOKclient....... sorry bout last link....
This is just the client file used to connect to the game. If you can get the login screen to work then you have done it, if you however try to login, it will not work unless you have a username and password to play, if you would like to play, or have a username and password to test it, then please leave me a message and ill get you one......

http://www.filefactory.com/file/deeb17/n/legends_zip
sabotage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sabotage »

Any Ideas on how to get 16 bit color.... I have edited my xorg.conf and changed all the 24's to 16's but it would still appear that im operating in 24 bit....
Tlarhices
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Tlarhices »

sabotage wrote:Any Ideas on how to get 16 bit color.... I have edited my xorg.conf and changed all the 24's to 16's but it would still appear that im operating in 24 bit....
You can try these workarounds :
http://wiki.winehq.org/256ColorsWorkarounds
They are to run in 256 color mode but by changing the 8s in 16s it should do the trick.
sabotage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sabotage »

I need to Bump this, I cannot get it to work, with Xnest i have come close a couple of times, but im just stumped.....
sabotage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sabotage »

I have the Game Running now, but graphics are all screwey, and text seems to be forced to left hand side, instead of centered... Any Ideas?
See First post for Pictures.....
bluezeak

Post by bluezeak »

nothing like reviving an ancient thread!

I'm also trying to get this to work - I'm having the exact same issue. Works, but with letters off to one side, and colors/grfx are off (as if it's 256 not 16).
Skotches

Post by Skotches »

Just a shot in the dark, but have you tried dosbox? I run Master of Orion 2 (a 1997 game) on dosbox and its more stable on linux/sabayon with dosbox than it ever was on windows 2k/7 using dosbox.