Wine issue with ubuntu 12.10 (unity)

Questions about Wine on Linux
sona1111
Level 2
Level 2

Wine issue with ubuntu 12.10 (unity)

Post by sona1111 »

Hello, I realize that from your point of view this is more of a ubuntu problem then a wine problem, but because ubuntu is pretty popular and I am not getting much help on ubuntuforums, I thought maybe someone here would know...

I am using a thinkpad t60 with three different fullscreen wine programs. for each of them, If I disallow the window manager to control the windows in the wine settings, it will display correctly but the keyboard will not function correctly. If I enable the window manager to control the windows then the keyboard will work correctly, but then the unity launcher and top panel will display over the programs. Was their ever a workaround for these problems? I have tried the "legacy fullscreen support" in compiz with no luck. When disallowing the window manager, two of the programs work but just lose support for the alt key, but one does not get any input at all without the window manager.

If I can not find a way to hide the units panels with the window manager active, I need to find a way to get "focus" to the programs without the window manager, which does not seem to happen automatically for some reason. Alt tab and other ubuntu keyboard shortcuts do not seem to be working which I have tried.

thanks.
sona1111
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine issue with ubuntu 12.10 (unity)

Post by sona1111 »

bump
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Have you tried Wine's emulated virtual desktop?
sona1111
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sona1111 »

Is their a standard procedure for making the virtual desktop itself "full screen"?
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Well, the idea of wine's virtual desktop is to run an app in a window created by wine, even if the app expects to run fullscreen. When the app is going fullscreen, it just uses the whole window.

Did you try to set the virtual desktop in winecfg to the resolution your applications probably expect?
sona1111
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sona1111 »

I had just finished writing a big rant about how you misunderstood my problem when I actually decided to mess around a little with what you said.

I was never aware of this feature, thank you so much!

If you set the resolution of the virtual desktop exactly the same as the display (resolution you set in ubuntu) it will go fullscreen, one pixel more or less and it acts like a window.

After this all you have to do it change the resolution in the program you are using ot be exactly the same as the other values (sometimes they hide in in a .ini file) and you should be good to go!

thank you so much, I am glad that is solved!
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Nice to hear that it works for you. Regarding the rant, I can understand, that wine is sometimes complicated and even frustrating. There's a good reason for the existence of Codeweavers commercial version of wine, it makes things much easier, at least, if your application is supported by Codeweavers. In April 2014 Windows XP will run out of extended support, I really hope that until then wine will be able to run almost all XP and before stuff (apart from hardware drivers, some copy protections, system utilities, they will probably never work).

Your issue with unity is probably still a bug, either in wine or unity or both. You may consider filing a bug, though I wouldn't expect a quick solution.