wine built with gcc-4.8.0

Questions about Wine on Linux
hirschhornsalz

wine built with gcc-4.8.0

Post by hirschhornsalz »

So, a new compiler version has appeared and I wanted to try it out on wine in the the hope to squeeze some more tenth of fps out of wine running World of Warcraft.

Wine builds fine, but unfortunately it crashes a few seconds after log in (or during) when trying to run WoW. Has somebody else tried gcc-4.8.0?
kerneloftruth
Level 1
Level 1

Re: wine built with gcc-4.8.0

Post by kerneloftruth »

yeah, tried running it with PDF-XChange but the program won't load

it only says: "the program winemenubuilder.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to be closed. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

when running from console it says:
err:seh:call_stack_handlers invalid frame 7fffcbfe3030 (0x142000-0x240000)
err:seh:raise_exception Exception frame is not in stack limits => unable to dispatch exception.
wine: Unhandled page fault at address 0x7f5a9fba629e (thread 000d), starting debugger...
that is with gcc 4.8 (hardened) and wine 1.5.26 on Gentoo ~amd64, 64bit wine

hardened 4.7 worked fine - I'll do so changed in the toolchain and see whether I can get it to work with gcc 4.8 ...
kerneloftruth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kerneloftruth »

weird - you can't edit your posts ?

anyway:

I switched back and forth between binutils, CFLAGS and gcc

and switching from gcc 4.8 to 4.7 "fixed" it:

PDF-XChange or all apps that I'm using with wine work fully again

so perhaps it's the same like with every few gcc releases:

it optimizes more and/or gets stricter with code

and that leads to breakage
FireBurn

Post by FireBurn »

I too have found issues compiling wine with gcc 4.8

With -O3 I was getting compilation issues due to memset not being defined

At -O2 I was instead getting run time errors

I've got a feeling the errors are due to the new gcc optimisation -foptimize-strlen

Some details can be found here http://nickclifton.livejournal.com/9396.html

I'll do some experimentation with -fno-optimize-strlen and see if that improves anything
FireBurn

Post by FireBurn »

Unfortunately -fno-optimize-strlen had no effect -O3 still fails to build and -O2 produces a binary that doesn't work correctly
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

hirschhornsalz

Post by hirschhornsalz »

I tried -fno-aggressive-loop-optimizations, but to no avail. Interrestingly, it doesn't crash immediatly, but after 10 seconds or so.
kerneloftruth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kerneloftruth »

I compiled a upstream gcc 4.8.1_pre9999 (gentoo live ebuild) with the applied patch from (http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=57003#c17)

and PDF-XChange / wine now starts but it crashes during attempt of saving the PDF file

so there either must be several more issues with gcc 4.8.0 or it's an app-specific issue

for completeness' sake I'll post a link to the error message here:

http://pastebin.com/DJ1VyZ4W
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Regarding the issue with PDF-XChange, maybe http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=23721 helps. There's a bug report for the 64bit version of PDF-XChange, see http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30360 . Are you running 32 or 64bit version of PDF-XChange?
kerneloftruth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kerneloftruth »

thanks lahmbi5678, I'm currently running the 64bit version

I tried the steps mentioned in that bug report already but it didn't help so like posted in the last entry in the bugtracker - as a last resort installed the 64bit version - that one works (saving, overwriting, etc.)

32bit stopped working for me with as far as I know wine 1.4* (the version I had installed was 1.4_rc4 - didn't try newer versions since then) , wine 1.3.28 (worked, good with 32bit & saving)

so in summary: with all current wine versions and gcc 4.7* saving works with the 64bit version of PDF-XChange, whereas with even the "fixed" gcc 4.8.1_pre9999 saving (still) doesn't work (with 64bit) - now it at least starts up (before it crashed during startup, the app's GUI wasn't even visible), you can make annotations but during saving attempt it crashes

but that's a different issue

let's stay to the gcc 4.8 problem

once I have a chance to run other apps - I'll do it & see / report