wine didn't work and I want to delete it with but can't find

Questions about Wine on macOS.
oldpoopscooper

wine didn't work and I want to delete it with but can't find

Post by oldpoopscooper »

So i tried to download wine but i had a problem with Macport, so as a result I want to delete wine and every file relating to it. However my issue is since i didn't get it to work i don't know how to uninstall. I would just delete the files but I they are not all labeled wine, and i can't go by date since some of the files have different date's from today. And another concern that I have about deleting the files is that wine my have renamed some of my existing files and i don't want to damage my mac. I am using IOX 10.6.8 and I'm sort of a newbie. How can I solve this problem, what should I do?
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: wine didn't work and I want to delete it with but can't

Post by doh123 »

Wine isn't going to damage your machine... its not changing other file names and such.

If you installed with Macports, you can uninstall it the same way... THis is more Macports info and not Wine info... but...

sudo port uninstall wine
or
sudo port uninstall wine-devel

if it errors because it never fully finished building right, then you can just clean up the attempt to install

sudo port clean wine
or
sudo port clean wine-devel

If Wine actually worked once, then it made a folder in your home folder called .wine. Since it start with a . Finder will not show the file (hidden) by default. If you want to see it in Finder the easiest way is just type type in Terminal...
open ~/.wine
and it will open a Finder window and show the folder in that window.

Uninstalling all of Macports is more complex... and you'll have to get that procedure from the Macports site.
flerchjj
Level 1
Level 1

Re: wine didn't work and I want to delete it with but can't

Post by flerchjj »

I'm not sure if Macports installs Wine user directories to the same location as a plain install. You may want to check that user files are deleted as well. Below are some instructions to verify those are gone as well.

1. Open Terminal (Finder | Applications | Utilities | Terminal)
2. Try to open the default hidden wine directory by typing the following and hitting enter

Code: Select all

open ~/.wine
3. If the folder exists it will open in Finder and you can delete this folder and all contents as you normally would on a Mac.