Trying to run Xanadu Next

Questions about Wine on Linux
Jenia
Level 2
Level 2

Trying to run Xanadu Next

Post by Jenia »

Could someone help me figure out what's wrong?

I've been trying to start the game in various ways - I wasn't sure my installation worked as intended, so I attempted installing on windows, where it worked, with the game running and all, and then copied the entire game folder as-is to linux.

That didn't help - same effect. I'm on Linux Mint, by the way, installed propietary Nvidia drivers using sgfxi.

Symptoms:
If, in the configuration window, Max Hardware Processing is turned on, game does not launch.

Console output for Max Hardware On

If Max Hardware Processing is turned OFF, I get to the main menu, but as soon as the game gets to the point in which it needs to display graphics, I get a crash dialog, but the game keeps going - I get a mostly black screen. I see the 2D frame correctly, and some broken textures.

Console output for Max Hardware Off

Any ideas, anyone?
dimesio

Re: Trying to run Xanadu Next

Post by dimesio »

Code: Select all

err:winediag:xrandr12_init_modes Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
Do what it says.
Jenia
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jenia »

dimesio wrote:

Code: Select all

err:winediag:xrandr12_init_modes Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
Do what it says.
That was difficult!
But it didn't help any.

Updated Console Output, WINE version is now 1.5.21
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Which graphics card do you have? I find it interesting that wine recommends you noveau.

Do you have alsa drivers installed? You could try to remove pulseaudio (or install it, if it isn't already). Do you have sound in native linux applications?
Jenia
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jenia »

GeForce 310M. WINE recommends nouveau because the nvidia driver does not support any resolution other than the native one when using the laptop's screen (which is normally). The message vanishes when an external screen is connected.

Yes, I have sound in native linux applications. I probably have alsa installed, because I install wine using make install (so configure would tell me there's no alsa).
Either way, sound is not what worries me! It's the graphics!
Right now as far as I'm concerned the sound is a minor (and ignorable) problem with this one.
I think it has something to do with a little system tray program that Xanadu launches alongside the game itself - it's a little blue note icon, so that thing is probably causing all the sound errors.
And it's not like sound in the game doesn't work.

I want to get the graphics to work - I see menus just fine, but the 3D objects are MOSTLY missing, with only stray textures visible on an otherwise black screen.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Just to make things clearer, would Xanadu next run without issues, if you used an external monitor and the proprietary Nvidia driver?
Jenia
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jenia »

lahmbi5678 wrote:Just to make things clearer, would Xanadu next run without issues, if you used an external monitor and the proprietary Nvidia driver?
No.
The exact same problem will be present.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

File a bug.