16 Bits Screen Mode Required

Questions about Wine on macOS.
dtb

16 Bits Screen Mode Required

Post by dtb »

Hey folks, trying to play an old school favorite of mine, Moto Racer but I can't seem to get around the 16 bit problem. I have the whole game installed and all that jazz but as I tried to run it I get "16 Bits Screen Mode Required" as an error. I tried the virtual PC graphics option and finagled with the screen size options both on the Mac and on Wine but to no avail. Read around the board but I couldn't find any conclusive answers. So what would you all suggest I do to get some wheely action again?
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: 16 Bits Screen Mode Required

Post by doh123 »

as far as I know you can't really run 16 bit color right now with OSX and X11... its all 24 bit (or as Windows calls it 32 bit)
dtb

Post by dtb »

I was perusing some other sites on the issue and I read that if you go into the X server you can change it to 16 bit. How does one do that?
ischou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ischou »

dtb wrote:I was perusing some other sites on the issue and I read that if you go into the X server you can change it to 16 bit. How does one do that?
In general Mac OS X no longer allows you to run things in 16 bit or 8 bit. It's rather annoying, but the option to lower your color depth has been completely removed from the System Preferences:Display control panel.

In ages past, you could set the Display preferences to something lower, and then start up X, and X was perfectly happy to run in whatever depth the graphics card is set at.

I've had similar issues with old DirectColor (instead of TrueColor) display software that I tried to port over from SGI IRIX, and hit the same problems as well as trying to get an old "I Spy" game working for my daughter in Wine.

You can google for some hacks that will let you lower your display card color (the ability is still there, just Mac OS X doesn't let you at it anymore), or you can try some funky solution with XNest, Xypher, or XVNC, where you start an X server inside your X server with a lower color depth than your native graphics card. I haven't had any luck with any of these options, but maybe you'll have better success. Good luck!
Maexel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Maexel »

Hi dtb,

maybe this site is helpful when facing your error: :wink:
http://wiki.winehq.org/256ColorMode

Although, I haven't tried it out myself, so no guarantee that you'll manage to fix your error and get your game running.

Hope this works for you!

Cheers mate,
Maexel