Old wineprefix pops up

Questions about Wine on Linux
empec

Old wineprefix pops up

Post by empec »

I've been screwing around with wineprefixes, and had a few configured for different types of applications/games.
Now I wanted to make a fresh start and deleted all prefixes with the guide on http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ 4.2. How do I uninstall *all* Windows applications?

Configured only one prefix, the default wineprefix; .wine.
All went fine, and this time I did not even got ANY error message when installing dotnet, dx10 ect. Oe, that feels good! Been working on Ubuntu now for couple of months, and sometimes I just want to throw out my pc and run away into the forest never to return because of all the potential 'problems' coming with ubuntu.

Anyway, installed Skyrim. Tried to edit a .ini file to configure old settings I had with the previouse install of Skyrim.
When double clicking on this .ini file, wine is suddenly configuring an old prefix; wine_CC.

Same thing happens when setting the default prefix; export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine

I'll uninstall wine, and reinstall see what happens. In the mean time I wonder why this is.
Perhaps an old application still installed somewhere outside wine using .ini default in the .wine_CC dir?
dimesio

Re: Old wineprefix pops up

Post by dimesio »

Does .wine_CC exist?
empec

Re: Old wineprefix pops up

Post by empec »

Not anymore. Deleted it with all the other prefixes.

I've tried to uninstall wine. Completely.
Tried it again, with same results. Starts up an old prefix; .wine_CC.

I'm guessing the default application to open .ini files is registered on an application previously installed in ~/.wine_CC/drive_c/Program Files.
Not sure how to deleted this memory. Perhaps with Bleach. Which other users with the same problem should consider trying.

I have set gedit now for the default application to open .ini files to prevent it. But time will tell if there are any other applications set as default which might cause the same problem again.