How do I get my USB to serial converter working under WINE?

Questions about Wine on macOS.
JandG

How do I get my USB to serial converter working under WINE?

Post by JandG »

Hi all,

First post here. Couple of things first:
1. I know just about nothing about WINE.
2. I am a new MacBook pro mid 2012 user running Mountain Lion 10.8.2
3. I have installed WINE following the excellent instruction on this website: http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
4. WINE is up and running and I managed to install a Windows program (APRSIS32) which is working fine.

Now the question:
I have looked and googled the web for an answer to the following:

I have a KeySpan USB to serial converter which I need to get working with APRSIS32. On the MacBook (Not under WINE) I have installed the driver for the KeySpan converter and that is working fine when I run a terminal program to talk to my Ham Radio. I have found several instructions on the web to link that to WINE but none of them have been successful. So, how do I get that KeySpan USB to Serial converter recognised by WINE so that I can use it with the APRSIS32 program?

Please remember item 1 above.

I really hope I can get this to work but I will need step by step instructions I am afraid,

Kindest regards,
Gerard
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How do I get my USB to serial converter working under WI

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

nobody answered your post, so I'm trying to help out.

Quick googling found me a tutorial for linux:
http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:linux

This probably won't help you much, but there may be very few people in this forum on MacOSX trying to use USB-serial converters, even less with exact the same hardware. You can search in the forum for topics like USB+serial, there are some older post, with very mixed success. It's not that the people are impolite or unwilling, the topic USB/serial+wine just isn't very glorious. If the tutorial shouldn't work for you, and you still need your app, you may consider installing e.g. Windows XP in a VM.
JandG

Re: How do I get my USB to serial converter working under WI

Post by JandG »

lahmbi5678 wrote:Hi,

nobody answered your post, so I'm trying to help out.

Quick googling found me a tutorial for linux:
http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:linux

This probably won't help you much, but there may be very few people in this forum on MacOSX trying to use USB-serial converters, even less with exact the same hardware. You can search in the forum for topics like USB+serial, there are some older post, with very mixed success. It's not that the people are impolite or unwilling, the topic USB/serial+wine just isn't very glorious. If the tutorial shouldn't work for you, and you still need your app, you may consider installing e.g. Windows XP in a VM.

Thanks for your reply. I was aware of that web site but it is still not clear to me how to do this. Going to have to do more searching to find an answer. When I do find an answer one day I will post it here.

Thanks again