Application Folder & Find Wine (drill down)

Questions about Wine on Linux
Daniella
Level 2
Level 2

Application Folder & Find Wine (drill down)

Post by Daniella »

I have spent over a week trying to just get my portable firefox to run on my Linux computer. I got wine onto my computer. When I do find helpful video directions to help me with wine on the internet they ALL seem to show wine being under the "Applications" folder. BUT and it is a big but it is not there. I have the wine program there and it worked when I loaded the portable firefox program (I just right clicked and selected wine like it was suppose to) yet I can not find the portable firefox program anyplace. I did a search and it is not there. I checked the "show hidden folders".

So why is wine not in the Applications folder like it shows in all the video directions I watch?

Now I am running Mint Debian 201204 MATE/Cinnamon 64-bit with MATE 1.4.0

Now I did find a way to add things to the Applications menu but right clicking on menu and selecting edit and selecting Applications then click the "New Idem" button but then it gives me a "browse . ." as one of the things I need to do to set it up. The same need to know where wine is for the "drill down" (as I call it) to add the the portable firefox program to the menu.

How do I find ( drill down to ) the wine ( virtual c drive ) folders using the ' browse ' button?
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Application Folder & Find Wine (drill down)

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

you maybe are confusing a few things. The wine exceutable lies somwhere in "/usr/bin/...". If wine is properly installed, Wine should be "in your path", that means if you type "wine" or "winecfg" in a terminal (and hit Enter), it should be found without error message. You then don't need to set the whole path to wine in a desktop shortcut.

Your wine settings and usually your installed programs are in "~/.wine" folder, which is equivalent to "home/<username>/.wine" (where <username> is to be replaced with your linux user name) . It is possible to install windows applications outside the .wine folder, but not really recommended. And a portable Firefox wouldn't be "installed" at all, that's the definition of a portable app. I wouldn't even put a portable Firefox into ".wine" folder or link to it from ".wine" folder.

Do you intend to use exactly the same Firefox.exe, you are using under Windows? Or do you want to install Firefox again under wine and just share the profile folder, where Firefox stores Internet cache, emails, etc ?

It should be enough to set the desktop shortcut to execute a command like "wine /<pathToPortableFirefox>/Firefox.exe".
Daniella
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daniella »

lahmbi5678 wrote:Hi,

you maybe are confusing a few things. The wine exceutable lies somwhere in "/usr/bin/...". If wine is properly installed, Wine should be "in your path", that means if you type "wine" or "winecfg" in a terminal (and hit Enter), it should be found without error message. You then don't need to set the whole path to wine in a desktop shortcut.
If I type "winecfg" in a terminal (and hit Enter) I get the "Wine Configuration" dialog box. I can also find the Wine Configuration is under "system tools" as well. That is not what I am after. I need to know where the program is. I need to configure a program inside of Wine not Wine its self.

lahmbi5678 wrote: Your wine settings . . .
I am not worried about the wine settings at this time at all.
lahmbi5678 wrote:
. . . and usually your installed programs are in "~/.wine" folder, which is equivalent to "home/<username>/.wine" (where <username> is to be replaced with your linux user name) .
I am not sure that a "~" is when you said "~/.wine" folder. I can not find such a folder. I go to the home folder then to to "zoey" (thats me) and there is no wine folder there.
lahmbi5678 wrote: It is possible to install windows applications outside the .wine folder, but not really recommended.
No firefox is inside of the wine folder wherever it is. That is my problem I can not find the wine folder.
lahmbi5678 wrote: And a portable Firefox wouldn't be "installed" at all, that's the definition of a portable app.
It is installed into wine I put it in a file called "! Masterfile" that is in the vertical "C" drive where ever that is. I can not find it.
lahmbi5678 wrote: I wouldn't even put a portable Firefox into ".wine" folder or link to it from ".wine" folder.
Portable firefox has a profile folder in it. Since I do not want to be working all the time with a laptop with a thumb drive sticking out all the time what I do is I delete the profile folder of the place where I am going to be working (aka the laptop) and copy the new version of the profile (aka the thumb drive) into where it goes (aka wine). All I need to know is where the wine folder is. Where is the virtual C drive at?
lahmbi5678 wrote: Do you intend to use exactly the same Firefox.exe, you are using under Windows?
yes
lahmbi5678 wrote: Or do you want to install Firefox again under wine and just share the profile folder, where Firefox stores Internet cache, emails, etc ?
No, Printable firefox has only one profile folder and I can just copy it to my new computers. I have many computers plus my son's computer. I have XP on some Vista on one Windows 8 on one. Then there is Linux Mint. I am new to Mint but not new to computers in general. What I need to know is where is the wine folder.

When go to look at all the Wine videos to show you stuff they always show wine in the "applications" folder (or is it a menu). It is not there in Wine Mint. I do not know why but it is not there.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Daniella wrote: I am not sure that a "~" is when you said "~/.wine" folder. I can not find such a folder. I go to the home folder then to to "zoey" (thats me) and there is no wine folder there.
The ~ is shorthand for your home directory. The folder you are looking for there is .wine, not wine; the . in front of the name means it is a hidden file. All of this is standard Linux usage, and you need to familiarize yourself with it. Basic knowledge of how to use your OS is assumed here.
When go to look at all the Wine videos to show you stuff they always show wine in the "applications" folder (or is it a menu). It is not there in Wine Mint. I do not know why but it is not there.
Outside tutorials and howtos are not supported here; if you don't understand one, ask its creator for help. As for menu entries, Wine does not add them until you run an installer, and it only does so for apps that add menu entries for themselves in Windows. Portable Firefox doesn't do that in Windows, so you shouldn't expect it to in Wine, either.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

The folder you are looking for should be "/home/zoey/.wine" or "home/zoey/.wine/drive_c". Nevertheless I wouldn't put a portable Firefox into ".wine" folder. Simply because it's not very portable there. But that's just an opinion.

".wine" is a invisible folder, so you probably need to set some option in your file manager to show you invisible files or just enter the folder name, in a terminal you should be able to see the folder anyway.
Daniella
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daniella »

Sorry I am so new at linux. I did buy a books to help me learn. I was able to find the program, thanks for your help and putting up with me.