Wine1.5.8_0ubuntu3 update cause City of Heroes to run slow

Questions about Wine on Linux
ianfromrocky
Level 1
Level 1

Wine1.5.8_0ubuntu3 update cause City of Heroes to run slow

Post by ianfromrocky »

I'm running Linux Mint 13 MATE with a AMD HD5450 video card and an older Intel dual processor cpu . A recent update to wine 1.5.8 has cause City of Heroes to run at about half speed. Changing graphic setting to lower makes little difference. It seems there is either a problem accessing cpu resources or the RAM. It's really odd and I get no error messages in the console. I can't seem to downgrade to 1.5.7 or even 1.5.8_0ubuntu1, which is what I had previously. Wine 1.2 works great but there are some minor mouse issues as it's missing X2input (or something like that). Wine 1.4 has the ALSA/Pulseaudio issues.

Any thoughts on why the funky cpu issue or how to downgrade with the unstable branch? (manual installing just gives me a dependency headache).

(Also, PlayOnLinux won't pass on the command line suffixes I need to play CoX. - otherwise that'd be a brilliant solution which I've brilliantly tried again and again with little success)
DanKegel

Post by DanKegel »

ianfromrocky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ianfromrocky »

I doubt it. This isn't just in game, it takes twice as long to load from the beginning and it's only the 1.5.8 ubuntu3 that seems to give me grief, ubuntu1 worked fine (I don't know the difference between updates given the specifics of "ubuntu1" or "3").

It's likely not a mouse animation thing. If XandR stuff affects the load times as well as game play then that might be it. But it's still only been this one update of 1.5.8.

1.5.9 doesn't seem available in the repositories yet, but I can try it when it shows up.
nepenthes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nepenthes »

This is a different bug, only on Ubuntu. Ubuntu ppa Wine version is patched to support pulseaudio, but this patch had a bug in it (near infinite loop) which caused lag whatever the game detail setting (indeed : this is a sound bug).

Wine version wine1.5 - 1.5.9-0ubuntu2~pulse19+build1 should fix this.

If not fixed, you may have a different issue.
ianfromrocky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ianfromrocky »

I tried 1.5.9_0ubuntu2... this morning. It fixes the slow load and low fps but the audio is buggy again like with 1.4. Sound with 1.2 acted up sometimes too, but that was preventable by going with the emulation or choosing OSS. But none of those workaround are helping me with 1.5.9. A couple minutes into the game and it starts clipping badly, overruns I believe, and it doesn't stop. Back to 1.2 for now.
ianfromrocky
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wine1.5.8_0ubuntu3 update cause City of Heroes to run sl

Post by ianfromrocky »

Well, NCSoft killed the game now. :(