Using an Xbox 360 controller with new Final Fantasy VII

Questions about Wine on Linux
tacshell

Using an Xbox 360 controller with new Final Fantasy VII

Post by tacshell »

So I managed to get the new FF7 remake running on my Ubuntu 12.04 system with wine 1.5. Everything is working well (sound, video) except my wired xbox 360 controller.

The controller is recognized by the kernel when pluged in and the xpad module is visible when I grep for it in lsmod's output. The funny thing is that in the FF7 launcher I can open up the settings menu and use the controller to change the button configuration but when I launch the actual game, no response.

Any input would be greatly appreciated... both to the game and to my query.
tacshell

Re: Using an Xbox 360 controller with new Final Fantasy VII

Post by tacshell »

It hit me while I was playing earlier today that I could just use QJoyPad as a workaround for this issue.

For those who don't know QJoyPad is an application that allows you to map joystick buttons to keyboard controls. For reference the project home page is located here:
http://qjoypad.sourceforge.net/. But if your using an apt-based system such as Ubuntu you can download a binary package from http://www.playdeb.net/. Where you will find easy to follow instructions for adding the playdeb respository and installing software such as QJoyPad.

Thanks to everyone in the community that helps to make this project possible!
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

even if you're happy with your workaround, you still could file a bug and cc a guy called Lucas Zawacki, he's actively working on wine's joystick support (google summer of code project). You can find his email address in other joystick related bugs under CC.
Simon of Aragon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Simon of Aragon »

Hello Tacshell,

I am currently running a PS3 joystick and lucky me it is PnP, but not recongnized by some Wine games. So now I am running (also in Wine) Joy2Key a windows keyboard and mouse emulator. It is a lot like the Linux Qjoypad but has a very simple to set up GUI and you can assign multiple keys and mouse movements on just a single input.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi Simon of Aragon,

as I said before, please file bugs, even if the bugs won't be resolved quickly, it will help wine in the long run.
tacshell

Post by tacshell »

Simon of Aragon wrote: I am running (also in Wine) Joy2Key a windows keyboard and mouse emulator.
What is the benefit of running native Windows software for this purpose?

Also, I will file a bug against Wine relating to this issue.
Simon of Aragon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Simon of Aragon »

@lahmbi5678: I didn't see this as a "wine bug" per se. Since one or more of the windows programs I am running is not even joystick compatible.

@tacshell:The benefit is the joystick emulation works with my program running in wine. It is easy to setup, can load multiple settings, and won't interfere with normal operations outside the wine instance.