League of Legends graphics problems

Questions about Wine on Linux
Locke3

League of Legends graphics problems

Post by Locke3 »

Im trying to get League of Legends to work (I'm using PlayOnLinux). I can log in and everything, but if I try and play a game, the entire screen in black, but I can see the HUD and the minimap (although the minimap is black. buff camps are visible, pings are visible, players appear as colored circles).
Im thinking the problem is that my graphics card is the intel graphics hd 3000 integrated card, but I'm not sure.
How do I fix this?
Locke3

Re: League of Legends graphics problems

Post by Locke3 »

using ubuntu 12.04LTS 32bit
graphics: intel sandybridge mobile x86/MME/SSE2
Simon of Aragon
Level 3
Level 3

Re: League of Legends graphics problems

Post by Simon of Aragon »

Hello Locke3,

I have 2 laptops and IG is always a big source of issues when it comes to playing games on them. I can't begin to tell you the amount of people on forums telling me to just buy a new graphics card. LoL It is at that point, I come back with "ok I bought a new graphics card you suggested, how do I cram this thing into my laptop?" :D

Being on Linux with Wine just makes matters worse to some degree, however my friend is running a desktop PC XP SP3 with onboard IGA (Intel I think) and he has no complaints running the latest and greatest games. I would start by asking you, how much total RAM you have on your system and in the BIOS settings how much shared memory?

While the game recomends a 512MB Geforce 8800, the minimum says any DX 9.0 graphics card. I am assuming you are on a PC laptop and not a Mac. Restart and enter setup to your BIOS (usually the delete key) and look for advanced chipset features. Find the Shared Video Memory and set it as close as you can to 512 MB. If you are running 2GB you will only have 1.5GB to use for programs. Most onboard adapters I have seen only go up to 128 MB of shared memory. I don't recommend you run any flash tweaks on your BIOS, that is a good way to brick a laptop.

I am only a beginner with Wine and POL is just a fancy front end program made to use it. I prefere to dig around in the guts and get dirty. So I can't help on the POL set up, sorry.