World of Warcraft 5.04 with Wine 1.5, horrible performance

Questions about Wine on Linux
Poeboy2
Level 1
Level 1

World of Warcraft 5.04 with Wine 1.5, horrible performance

Post by Poeboy2 »

I have been happily using Wine with World of Warcraft for years now and have always been able to resolve any minor problems. I decided to try the new Ubuntu 12.04.1 since the new patch was coming out anyway. Didn't stick with it and went back to Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon, 64 bit. Wanted to do a fresh install of everything anyway, so it was no big deal. But under Wine 1.4 the updater got hung up on launching, so I decided to install Wine 1.5 instead. The game installs and can start, but the graphics are now so slow that I can not even begin to play the game. Included here is a link to my new performance issues with it all. I really wonder if anyone else is having this same issue. By the way, I have a Nvidia GeForce 210 graphics card. All graphics are set to low in the game as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjYHctUx ... e=youtu.be
mikkelkromann
Level 2
Level 2

Re: World of Warcraft 5.04 with Wine 1.5, horrible performan

Post by mikkelkromann »

I had same problem (20ish fps instead of 60), but it was caused by addon which were not updated to 5.0.4, in my case power auras. Disabling the out-of-date addons resolved the problem.

And by the way: It seems to me that running with d3d now enables some nice graphical effects without noticable performance degradation. Did not test very much though.
Poeboy2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Poeboy2 »

The thing is that I have zero addons. Everything is 100% freshly installed, from the os to the drivers and the game itself.
Poeboy2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Poeboy2 »

Someone suggested switching to opengl, which I had forgotten to do. Still the performance is far from ideal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umk-cxyK ... e=youtu.be
nsfnd

Post by nsfnd »

Hello,
Have you tried adding

Code: Select all

env WINEDEBUG=-all
before wine ?
Example:

Code: Select all

cd /home/user/games/wow
env WINEDEBUG=-all wine WoW.exe -opengl
Poeboy2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Poeboy2 »

Nsfnd, not quite sure how to do what you're talking about. But I did solve half of my problem. I had assumed that I had no line labeled SET gxApi since I usually don't have one. But it turns out that I did and had just missed seeing it. So now the line reads SET gxApi "opengl". This has solved the slow cursor problem and the sound isn't nearly as choppy. But graphic rendering is very slow still and so are all movements.

Maybe it is high time that I take a break from internet surfing and WOW addiction to learn a bit more about running Linux and Wine. In the past two days I tried Mageia 2 as my OS, but went back to Linux Mint. I would love to give Arch a shot, I hear great stuff about it. But I don't feel comfortable enough to do it without worrying about really screwing up the system. Yet I do long for a faster, better and more customizable system than I have at the moment. So many years with Linux and I'm still a noob!