I can't browse into most Windows directories

Questions about Wine on Linux
luismartin

I can't browse into most Windows directories

Post by luismartin »

I'm not familiar with Wine yet. I used it to run Spotify on Ubuntu 11, but as I already have a direct access to Spotify and thus I can get it running with a simple double click, I don't remember how I set it up.

Now that I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 and upgraded Wine from 1.4 to 1.5, I'd like to try running apps such as Photoshop and Illustrator with Wine too. So after opening winecfg -> Applications tab -> Add application...

if I browse into unit C:/, where Windows 7 is installed, I can only see these folders: Program files, users, windows. And within Program files, the is only Common files and Internet Explorer. Why the rest of the directories in my C unit (Adobe, Nero, ...) are not visible with Wine? Is there another way to run these applications?

Any suggestions please?
L. Rahyen

Re: I can't browse into most Windows directories

Post by L. Rahyen »

Why the rest of the directories in my C unit (Adobe, Nero, ...) are not visible with Wine?
Did you install these applications in Wine? If not, that's why. Think of Wine prefix like fresh Windows installation.

By the way, before trying to install Windows applications in Wine, consider native alternatives. For example, k3b instead of Nero, GIMP instead of Photoshop, etc. And only if you tried all alternatives and did not like any of them try to install Windows application in Wine. Search http://appdb.winehq.org for useful suggestions how to install popular applications like Photoshop in Wine.
luismartin

Post by luismartin »

Thanks for replying! I'll check out that link.

Well, I can't browse into the Spotify folder either, and it's installed. It should be visible then.

I'd rather use Photoshop and Illustrator with Wine for the moment, if I could set it up. I tried to use Inkscape and I felt so lost and frustrated (even setting the Illustrator shortcuts) that I had to restart Windows and use Illustrator, which I know very well. But I'll try to become more familiar with both Inkscape and Gimp.

Regards!
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

when you see "C:" drive ... and your NOT in Windows... that does NOT mean your hard drive like it does in Windows. Thats a folder in your wineprefix. If you try to map Wine's C: drive to a real Windows C: drive, it will not work right and will hose your Windows install. Wine is made to run Windows software, not to run or interact Windows itself.
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

luismartin wrote:Well, I can't browse into the Spotify folder either, and it's installed. It should be visible then.
Where are you looking? Virtual C: drive is located at ~/.wine/drive_c by default. Of course, I assume you have installed your application in Wine. Remember, what you have installed in Windows is irrelevant. And you can't copy installed applications from Windows to Wine if they have an installer. You have to install all your applications in Wine.
luismartin wrote:I'd rather use Photoshop and Illustrator with Wine for the moment, if I could set it up.
Look at AppDB entries for Photoshop and Illustrator then.