Problem with programmer software and DLL in Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
sergeant

Problem with programmer software and DLL in Wine

Post by sergeant »

Hi,

I have a simple windows programmer software that I use to make settings in radios and navigation systems. The program does not require any installation (in windows). But a DLL file (J2534.dll) needs to be copied into the windows system 32 folder for the program to work properly. Basically a stand alone application. The program is old and only runs in Windows XP.

I now try to run above file on my Ubuntu 12.04/32 system with Wine 1.4 and get an error message indicating that the J2534.dll is not found. I have copied this J2534.dll into folder in wine but apparently done the wrong thing.

=============
PROBLEM WITH CAN HARDWARE:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->Software->PassthruSupport.0404 key

Please correct J2534 problem and re-run program..
=============

After clicking OK on above message the programs starts up but no functionality..

How do I fix above problem??
vitamin

Re: Problem with programmer software and DLL in Wine

Post by vitamin »

Which directory exactly did you copied that dll into? It should either be directory with your program, or ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32.

Also are you sure it really does not require installation? That error message sounds like it's missing some registry settings.
sergeant

Post by sergeant »

vitamin wrote:Which directory exactly did you copied that dll into? It should either be directory with your program, or ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32.

Also are you sure it really does not require installation? That error message sounds like it's missing some registry settings.
The program file does not require any installation in Windows XP to run. If I try to install it with the add/remove program function in wine it does not install.

The J2534.dll have been dropped in the system32 folder.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

Please post complete terminal output.